Chapter Twelve

"Hurry up! Eat faster, Brinley, we've got to go," my mom says, rushing through the kitchen.

I put my spoon back in my bowl of Cheerios, looking up, confused. "Mom, it's only seven."

"Exactly," she says, letting out a breath and rummaging through her purse. "We've got to get you to Owen's before my work starts."

"I'm still going to Owen's?" I ask, eyebrows raised.

"For a while," she replies, walking towards the door. "Come on, Brinley. Let's go."

I look down at myself and realize I didn't even get myself ready yet this morning. I'm in pink and green stripes pajama pants and a Pink Floyd T Shirt. My hair's up on top of my head in a bun and I've got zero makeup on whatsoever.

"That's not a good idea, mom."

"I don't have time for this," she says, turning around and grabbing onto my arm. "We've got to leave, right now."

So she drags me towards the car, skidding along in my fuzzy socks.

<•>•<•>

My mom drops me off on the side of the road in front of Owen's college. I know how to get there from where I am now, but I still feel a little lost.

The front entrance is a big open gate and I can see multiple students out in the courtyard now. Some looks over in my direction. Others don't notice. I walk past them, towards where I know the dormrooms to be.

A hand wraps around my arm. I let out a squeal, jumping away. I turn around, heart pumping, and find Joey, Owen's roommate. He laughs, one hand resting on his knee, the other still clasped around my wrist.

"Mind if I join you?" He asks, standing straight again after a moment. "You're headed up to Owen's right? I mean, this would be awkward if you weren't."

I nod my head.

And we walk the rest of the way together.

When we get to the correct room, I'm about to knock on the door when Joey just reaches out and opens it up. I blink a few times as he walks past me before entering myself.

"Joey, what are you-" I hear Owen say. Then he sees me. He stops, closes his mouth, and examines me. He smirks in amusement.

I point at him, annoyed. "This isn't funny. I had no time and didn't know I was coming."

"I never said it was funny," Owen replies, trying to hide a smile and failing as his eyes trail over my outfit.

"It was written all over your expression," I retort, hands on my hips.

"Oh really?" He asks, standing up from the couch.

"Would I lie to you?" I ask, walking further into the room after closing the door.

"Probably," he shrugs. "Are you hungry?"

"No, I just are some Cheerios," I say.

"Alright," Owen nods, taking a bag of kettle corn out of the pantry. "I'll just eat this myself."

"Maybe I'm just a little hungry," I sigh, meeting him on the couch and he pulls open the bag.

"Oh my gosh, is that my kettle corn?" Joey asks, rounding the corner.

"...no?" Owen says, putting a handful into his mouth.

"Come here, bring me that!" Joey says, hurrying over to us.

"No, we're already eating it," Owen says.

"Give it to me," Joey walks over to him and holds out a hand.

Remind MeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara