Chapter Twenty-Five

OWEN's POV---

I collected Brinley's phone about two hours ago so the police could inspect it for any hints as to where she could've been taken. When none were found, it was given back to me to hold onto.

And right now, I'm sitting in the waiting area at the police department, holding the phone in my hands.

And it's ringing. Clarin's number shows up on the screen and anxiety creeps up on me. I feel sick. I feel guilty. I don't know what I could possibly say if I picked up that call.

I press ignore.

Joey walks over and sits in the chair beside me. I tap my fingers on the arm rest anxiously. I wish I could do something to help. I wish I could help them in some way. But I can't.

I couldn't protect her. I promised her I would, and I didn't. She is going to hate me forever... If I actually get her back. The thought makes me wince. I need to stop that. I'll get her back.

"Stop that," Joey shoves my hand of the armrest so the tapping doesn't resume. "It's making me all antsy."

"Sorry," I mutter.

Joey sighs, looking over at me. "We could go somewhere. Anywhere. I just... I need to get out of here. And I bet you do too."

I nod my head. "Yeah, that's be nice."

"Should we drive around downtown and search some more? Would that make you feel any better?" Joey asks, standing up from his spot.

I nod again. "Yeah... Yeah, I want to at least try."

We head out to the car and begin on our way without speaking. The tension is so thick, and so is the worry. The silence almost makes it worse, but at the same time it calms me not having to talk about anything.

"Hey," Joey says after about twenty minutes of driving through the downtown area. "Park there."

I slow myself into a pretty deserted part of town and park the car in an old and creepy parking lot that not contains three other cars.

"C'mon, let's walk through those alleys, the car won't fit there," Joey says, hopping out of the car.

Even though it's really dark outside, I don't feel afraid for my own wellbeing at all. The only thing I feel is desperation. I need to find Brinley. If I don't, I will never forgive myself.

The lights above the alleyways are dim and keep flickering. I keep getting a bad feeling in my chest, but I ignore it, assuming it's anxiety.

"Should we split up?" I suggest, looking at the two entrances.

"Sure."

He goes one way and I go another.

And then I turn a corner to find three suspicious looking men. One punches the other's shoulder to get their attention. They whisper some things to each other before starting towards us.

|•|•|•|

BRINLEY's POV---

By the time in dragged back to the cement room, Jonathan looks furious. He chucks me onto the dirty couch and two men's hand clasp my arms so I can't escape again.

Jonathan grabs his knife off the table, wiping a bead of sweat off his forehead. He turns to me, then saunters over, obviously agitated.

"You know," he says, "I don't think I'll be killing you just yet. I want to give you one chance. Just one. I want you to make the right choices this time."

He has an incredibly dangerous look in his eye. I feel all my adrenaline sweeping away, and pure terror takes its place. What is he planning on doing?