Chapter 5: Nightmares

There was a sharp pain in her back. It took only seconds before her feet were lifted off the ground and she flew through the air. Her body hit the wall with force before she fell back onto the cold floor which was covered in dust, debris and dirt. Everything hurt. Everything.

She moaned and cried loudly. She felt around for her wand but she couldn't find it. It must have fallen out of her hands as she got launched through the air. Okay, no wand, wandless magic was manageable too. That was if her body wasn't in excruciating pain.

She was tired too. Incredibly tired. She had been fighting hard, for hours on end it felt like. It was dark. It was night. Why were they fighting at night? Why were they fighting at all? She pushed herself up on her elbows and rubbed her eyes.

Fuck.

When she opened her eyes again she stared right into a pair of dark eyes with yellow circles in them. She wasn't sure if it was human. It had long, pointed teeth, a nasty grin, long matted hair and whiskers. Definitely not human.

He was covered in blood and dirt. He smelled terrible, it would have made her eyes water if she hadn't already been crying. He crept closer to her with his long, yellow fingernails. She backed away slightly but he was faster.

He flashed his teeth once more before biting into her leg. She had never screamed so loud. It was the worst pain she had ever felt. Her head fell back and she saw spots appeared in front of her eyes. This was it, wasn't it?

He didn't stop after one bite though. He moved up and bit into her torso, gnawing at her skin. Did nobody hear her scream? Why was no one hearing her scream? It was so painful. Adrenaline started to fill her body, numbing out part of the pain but she could still feel it. She felt it in every inch of her body.

"Avada Kedavra!" someone yelled. The gnawing stopped and the monster collapsed. Cassie looked up. She had a hard time keeping her eyes open. She wanted to give up. She was going to die, she was certain of it.

"Cassie, Cassie, dear," McGonagall patted her cheeks. "Keep your eyes open! Don't you dare close your eyes, Cassie!" Cassie tried hard but it was difficult.

"Profe- No," she mumbled, the words were soft and rough. "Let it- Let me. Let me go." McGonagall shook her head firmly and called someone over.

"We're not giving up on you, dear. We can save you. We can-"

Cassie shot up on her bed. She was covered in sweat. Her hair clung to her face and neck, her bed was drenched and yet, she shivered. Tears wandered down her cheeks. Her hands were shaking and she was panting.

Merlin, she hated nightmares.

Reliving the moment she was bitten, the moment she had been ready to give up but McGonagall refused, was horrible. It was terrifying and it always brought her right back to that horrible moment in her life. It changed everything.

It changed her relationship dynamics apart from her best friends. It changed her view of herself. It changed her view on life. It changed her view on love. It changed her

Cassie's future plans were out the window. Travelling the world with her loved ones, becoming a potioneer, then Potions Professor (that at least had still worked out), participating in the Ministry Exstimulo Potion Brewing Contest and winning it, getting married, becoming an auntie. How could she do all that as a werewolf?

Travelling would be okay unless there's a full moon and unless the country which she wants to go to has very strict laws on werewolves. It was too stressful. A career as a potioneer was practically out the window because everyone knew; werewolves could not keep jobs for too long. She was Potions Professor for now but how long before everyone found out and she would have to leave? She could participate in the contest but her confidence and motivation had gone down so bad that she did not even want to anymore.