Chapter 20: Date

Cassie was bewildered. This response was not one she had been expecting. Neville was sitting next to her, rubbing her back gently as her eyes scanned the letter over and over. Aunt Lydia had written back only a few days later and Cassie was, well, in shock.

"Dear Cassie,

I know that. I know you have been infected with lycanthropy. Your father told me, he told me they threw you out, how disgusted he was etcetera. I know. I never brought it up because you never did and I wasn't sure if you were comfortable talking about it yet.

For me, it doesn't change a thing. You're still my favourite niece. You're still my Cassie.

I'm glad you told me and even if I hadn't known yet, I would have been okay with it. I understand that it's hard to believe that after the people you have held dearest reacted the opposite, but this doesn't change a thing between us, love.

You'll forever be my niece and you'll forever be my family. Lycanthropy or not.

I'm sorry to hear about the stigma in the UK. I'm sorry that my brother and your family are such gits. The Wizarding community in Italy is fairly open to it, better than in England for certain. A close friend of mine in my village is a werewolf too. I have talked to him about it and he explained to me how it works over here.

In Italy, the Wolfsbane Potion has been made accessible by our Ministry of Magic. People with lycanthropy get the option to go to the ministry on the nights of the full moon. There are special rooms where they can sleep through the night after taking the potion. The other option is that special Healers bring over the potion on the day of the full moon, ensure they take it and they can sleep through it at home, with the condition that there are protective spells around the room they stay in just in case.

My friend says it's all arranged really well at the ministry. The rooms are nice, almost like a hotel room he said! There are no chains or anything. There's just a nice bed where he can sleep through it. At first, he had been scared he would feel judged there but he says they are all very nice, understanding and don't treat him any differently. The following morning they get a Sleeping Draught to regain some energy before they can head home again.

People with lycanthropy have special work contracts so they can keep steady jobs. It's illegal to discriminate against them about it. They're all human, after all, just a few days a month they get ill and one night a month they have to transform, nothing we as a society can't deal with. It's harder for you all than it is for us.

Of course, there are a few rotten apples who judge people with lycanthropy but in general, it is very good here. 

These laws have been around for a few decades and ever since attacks have gone way down. I can send you some books about it if you'd like that! I hope that the stigma surrounding werewolves changes in the UK too. You're still human and that boyfriend of yours (who I am dying to learn more about) is totally right when he says you still deserve love and all things nice.

You're a wonderful person, Cassie. Don't forget that. Now, you best write to me about Neville. He sounds like a proper lad. Perhaps you two can visit me over the summer? I think a visit is long overdue!

I love you,

Aunt Lydia."

"It's good, right?" Neville asked softly. She put the letter down and looked at him. Her eyes were wide, her hand was covering her mouth and she blinked a few times. Cassie simply couldn't believe it.

"Good?" she asked, removing her hand from her face. "Merlin's beard, this is better than good, Neville! She loves me! She knew! She- Oh!" Cassie let herself fall into his arms. Her eyes were filled with tears of happiness.