17. Warning Shots

"I'm sorry I brought it up, Remy."

Jerry flinched at Sarah's words, but forced calm on himself and focused on Michael. He fussed in his arms, his tiny face scrunched in displeasure. Jerry secured him in one arm and put his other hand on his stomach, rubbing gently. The baby stopped whining and relaxed in his arms. In a matter of seconds, he yawned and nestled against Jerry.

"Remy?" Sarah whispered.

Jerry waited a few more seconds, then placed Michael in his crib and turned to his wife.

"Are you mad at me?" she asked.

Jerry shook his head. "I'm not mad, Ria. Even if I wish you hadn't gotten into that." He let out a heavy sigh. "But that doesn't mean you're wrong."

Sarah wiped a tear from her eye and joined him next to the crib. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her against him, and for a few seconds, they watched their baby in silence.

"I know she's your mom..."

Yes, she was. But if he were honest, she'd only ever been his mom and Sam's. She'd always been so awkward around the others, and Kyle had always been special to her. Apparently in more ways than one.

"Can we not talk about this?" he asked, his voice barely there. "Kyle is gone and I don't... I just really don't want to think about it."

"Of course. I'm just... really sorry."

He was sorry too and wished she hadn't mentioned it in front of him or his brothers. Maybe just talked to the other girls about it if she felt the need to. But he hadn't lied either. He wasn't mad at her. Just in pain and so done with all the drama and finding out just how terrible his extended family really was.

They stayed in silence for a while, both of them watching Michael sleeping peacefully.

"I really hope his tummy gets better," she whispered.

"Me too," he replied. "Poor little guy deserves to sleep."

"You're such a good father."

Her words made him jump and his chest filled with warmth at the same time. "You think so?"

"I know so." She tightened her hold around his middle, laying her head on his chest. "A great father and an amazing husband. I sometimes still can't believe we found each other."

He couldn't either. Sarah had given him happiness he wasn't even aware was possible, what he'd longed for ever since he realized what love could be. And even after so many years, he loved her just as much, if not more than in those crazy few months when he'd fallen like a fool for her and damned all sense and reason.

"We're not bad parents for keeping him in the kitchen, though, are we?" she asked all of a sudden.

Jerry bit back a laugh. They'd had this conversation when they first brought him  to Sarah's mismatched house with a huge kitchen and bathroom, but tiny bedroom and living room. He knew they had to move, they'd discussed it, even bought the new house in the same neighborhood as his brothers, but for now, they made it work. And he wasn't too keen to leave the place he'd found happiness, as weird as it was.

"I stand by what I said last time," he said. "Big room, lots of light, we can actually open the window now. He'd be so uncomfortable upstairs, especially with the heat."

"Speaking of heat..." She raised her head and looked at him, the desire in her eyes obvious.

He ached with it as well, but he only leaned over and kissed her gently, trying not to put in more than they could handle. Sarah didn't get the memo. Her hands slid under his shirt, caressing his back, her kiss wild and all consuming.