24. Children of War

It was so odd to suddenly be setting the table for one extra person, but Jessie was doing it.

Running on two hours of sleep stolen on an empty ER bed, she had to make her home functional before her next shift. If she were lucky, she'd be able to catch a few more hours of precious sleep.

Julia giggled in her high chair as Jessie opened the fridge to search for fresh milk. It might qualify her as a terrible mother, but Robin was getting cereal.

"Do you need any help?"

Jessie jumped as Maxi Grant made her presence known. They'd brought her in last night practically by force and sent her off to bed after Jimmy briefed her in on the rules.

"No, that's okay," Jessie said. "Coffee?"

"Yes, please." Maxi sat down and eyed Julia wearily, as if the little girl was likely to jump on her and demand affection.

Jessie poured her a cup and placed it in front of her. "That's Jimmy's usual seat. If you don't mind..." She pointed to the other side of the table.

Maxi lingered for a moment as if she wanted to protest, but moved. Now she was right across the table from Julia.

"You're dressed for work," she observed, since Jessie still had her purple scrubs on.

"I actually just got off work. I'll be tucking in after breakfast." She caught Maxi gazing at Julia again. "Don't worry, we meant what we said last night. You are definitely not required to look after the kids."

"But who will while you sleep?"

"We'll be taking them to Sam and Christine's for school, so don't worry about it."

Maxi nodded, gazing around the kitchen as if looking for something to criticize. Jessie clenched her jaw because there was a lot of that. Cabinet doors stood open and cereal and fruit filled the counter. But they'd always lived a bit on the run and they were okay with it. Maxi's opinion didn't matter. At least that's what she told herself as she focused on preparing Jules' fruit mush. She put the plastic bowl in front of her daughter, then got working on Robin's cereal bowl.

"What's Jimmy having for breakfast?" Maxi asked.

"I don't know, I'll ask when he gets here."

"Don't you discuss these things?"

Yes, because they actually had the time to discuss meal plans in advance. Jessie turned and placed the cereal bowl on the table a little too hard. "Look. No offense, but I never put food on the table for Jimmy and let it wait for him. He's a grown man who knows what he wants."

"I didn't mean it like that," Maxi backtracked. "It's just a sign of affection."

"Is that what you did for Mr. Grant?"

Maxi flinched, but gained her composure almost instantly. "For a long time, I prepared breakfast for my entire family."

"Well, that's not necessary here." Jimmy joined the party, Robin in his wake.

"Mommy, I brushed my teeth by myself today," he announced, taking up his chair.

"That's great to hear, sweetheart." Jessie leaned over and kissed the top of his head. "Now eat your cereal."

"Want toast, Sunshine?" Jimmy asked, already heading for the toaster. He stopped on the way to plant a short kiss on her lips.

"Not in front of the children," Maxi hissed.

"Why is grandma here?" Robin asked.

"Apparently to be bossy," Jimmy said in a sing-song voice. "So? Toast?"