21. Hurt People

Kyle wondered if knocking Snitch Gravel out would stop him from having nightmares, because he couldn't take it any more.

Three nights in a row the guy kept twisting turning and mumbling, waking Kyle up even when he wasn't supposed to be on guard duty. Their guarding was pathetic anyway and both of them constantly fell asleep on the job. It was bad that he had his own night terrors, but having to listen to Snitch Gravel's was too much for him.

To make matters worse, Snitch Gravel was so out of it from exhaustion that he was practically useless. He'd also fallen silent and their daily progress was pathetic. It grated on Kyle because he was aware he wasn't doing any better and he didn't have all year to explore a jungle with a potential psychopath. He needed to get home.

But Snitch Gravel's anxiety and constant nightmares were taking their toll on him as he began dreaming of returning home and finding that Kay had moved on and his children no longer recognized him.

He jerked awake to a loud 'no' coming from Snitch Gravel and for a moment he was sure the serum would take over and he'd strangle the guy. Fortunately, even the serum was exhausted and unresponsive.

But that didn't mean the moaning wouldn't be punished. Kyle picked up a fallen fruit which he had no idea what it was or if it was edible, and threw it at Snitch Gravel. It hit him in the chest and he jerked awake.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" he growled, picked up a rock and threw it at Kyle.

He dodged it. "What's wrong with me? At least I threw something soft at you, asshole. Weren't you supposed to be on guard duty?"

Snitch Gravel glanced around and grumbled something to himself before straightening and rubbing his eyes. "Not like anything happened."

"What if it does?"

He didn't have an answer for that because he knew he'd screwed up. Kyle stood, walked over to him and dropped on the ground a few inches away.

"Look, this isn't working and I wasn't going to push you, but you're driving me insane. You can't sleep, I can't sleep and we're both useless. So spit it out."

"It's none of your damn business," Snitch Gravel said, refusing to spit it out.

"You're making it my business because you're not letting me rest . Which could lead to me dying and I sure as hell don't want that."

"Oh, just grow a pair and rough it up."

The serum stirred, fueled by the frustration and annoyance Kyle felt. "Grow a pair? You're the one who refuses to fix things because you're too afraid to talk!"

There was a subtle movement that caught his eye. Had Snitch Gravel not been exhausted and wildly uncoordinated, his action could have posed a threat. As it was, Kyle caught his wrist before the knife was half-out of a sheath he'd hidden under his shirt. With a quick press to his wrist, the weapon fell and Kyle caught it.

"How many more weapons do you have on you?" he asked, his tone cold. He didn't like this. He'd thought they were done when he took away the gun.

Snitch Gravel huffed. "Like I'm going to tell you that."

"I'm a cop. I know how to do a full cavity search."

Snitch Gravel maybe tried to grin, but it came out as a grimace. "Yeah, whatever. Just slice my throat and get it over with."

If only it were that easy. "Yeah, not going to happen."

He actually looked disappointed. "Why not?"

"You saved my life. I'm merely returning the favor."

Snitch Gravel shook his head, his mouth turned down in an annoyed frowned. "Idiot, I told you that was me repaying a favor."