✧ protective love ✧

summary: an argument, a necklace and the Darkhold: in the midst of chaos, love is stronger.

word counter: 3165 words

─── 「༻ ☪ ༺」───

After saying goodbye to Wanda, you make your way to your fake house. You feel sorry for her, because she created this whole parallel world because in the real one, the person she loves has gone. You felt her own pain when, for a couple of minutes, you were the victim of her painful memories. In a way, you understand her. You would probably lose your mind too if your soulmate disappeared forever.

Finding Agatha sleeping on the sofa catches you off guard, because is certainly weird. She spends so many hours locked in that basement when she's not spreading her false gossip in the neighborhood. Maybe she finally realized that getting a little rest every now and then isn't so bad, which relieves you a lot - her health has taken a back seat since her obsession with Wanda began to consume her.

Because you lack magic to make a blanket appear, you go upstairs for one. Back in the living room, you cover the naughty witch who looks so harmless, even adorable, now. You gently stroke her black hair before placing a warm kiss on her forehead.

"I love you..."

You don't like going down to the basement because it's quite dark and cold, but you do like to go say hi to Scratchy. The rabbit is in his cage, eating his lettuce. When you are about to take him out to give him some human affection, you see a glow out of the corner of your eye.

Your gaze get lost in Agatha's book, which she's always reading. Now a few inches away, you look at it closer. The book looks gloomy, ancient, flashing a certain red light in its outlines - as if the pages are shining on the inside. It certainly looks like an artifact that no person without magic would even dare to touch.

Aware of the danger it can pose to you, you return to Scratchy. But then you're turning around again, moving your feet in the direction of the Darkhold. After Wanda, this book is your girlfriend's second obsession. Why? What makes it so special?

What makes her so special?

Bittersweet taste overwhelms you as you remember the argument you had with Agatha yesterday. All you wanted was to have that pathetic picnic with her, for her to forget the whole powerful magic thing for a few minutes and relax with you. But she said she couldn't allow herself to relax in a situation like this. She literally said Wanda was more important.

Hearing that pissed you off and both of you had an heated discussion, one that only ended when you tore off the necklace she gave you on your last birthday.

"Give it to Wanda." You said harshly.

It's quite pathetic to feel sorry for the same person who, at the same time, makes you feel like you're nobody, as if your existence is insignificant. Are you too good or too naive?

"I just want to be special too," you whisper sadly, unconsciously tracing the cover of the book with your fingertips. "I want to be like Wanda."

When you open the Darkhold, red symbols and writing begin to appear on the white pages. The words are adapted to your native language, which is why you're able to understand everything that's being revealed with ease. You immerse yourself in pages that give you information about the Elder Gods, Chaos Magic, and the Scarlet Witch.

You don't take long to make the connections between one thing and the other, because it's as if the book itself wants you to see all the truth. And the truth is that Wanda is more important than you thought, which explains why she's so special to Agatha - she has an extremely powerful magic and you don't.