✧ pain only makes us stronger ✧

ღ summary: after the Red Room is destroyed, you return home. but you're unable to remember fragments of your life, including Agatha. but it's only a matter of time, and love.

angst/fluff.

ღ word count: 3050 words

ღ a/n: does this make sense? i don't think so.

─── 「༻ ☪ ༺」───

"Просыпайся, моя девочка." (Wake up, my girl.)

Slowly, you open your eyes. They immediately contract because of the bright light above you. It takes you a few seconds, many blinks, but when you finally get used to it, you're able to keep them open.

You feel tired, drowsy, extremely relaxed. There's no room in your mind to think about what drug you received or the means by which you received it, not when you notice you're immobilized on a stretcher. There are belts on your hands, on your waist and ankles, tied so tightly that you cannot understand how the blood still circulates through your body.

Your ears pick up voices. You follow the sound. Turning your face to the right, you find two people in gowns and masks. One of them has a syringe and a small glass vial in their hand, preparing a long dose of some injectable medication. Keep her awake for the cranial incisions, one of them says in Russian.

"What are you- What are you doing?"

Your voice is weaker than you intend. They both look at you but completely ignore you. And then, you feel something on your face. A caress, on your left cheek, from your temple down to your cheek. You move your face abruptly, pulling your body as far away as possible from the unwanted physical contact. Your heart twists against your chest when you see who just touched you.

No, it can't be possible, the voice in your mind whispers. He died, Natasha killed him. But there he is, standing by the gurney. A grin on his face, one that grows wider the more your expression tightens. He's your worst nightmare, the one to blame for making your life a living hell from the time you were a little girl until you graduated from the Red Room; which is gone, isn't it?

"Welcome home."

The moment Dreykov says those words to you, the fury of staring into his horrible face is replaced with terror.

"What? How- How did you find me?" You try to make your voice stronger this time but you still sound like a weak little girl; the one you've always been from the beginning.

"Oh, that." He says, arranging his glasses on the bridge of his nose. "You see... When you betrayed me and joined S.H.I.E.L.D, getting to you wasn't easy. But I was always keeping a close eye on you." He pauses, as if choosing with tongs what to say next. "You're the reason Natasha betrayed me too, and I vowed revenge for that. I thought about killing your so-called sister, what's her name? Ah yes... Maria." You clench your fists and harden your expression, which makes him chuckle. "Yes, it would've been fun, but it would draw too much attention. So instead, I waited patiently for the moment when you were completely alone, unaccompanied and unprotected, to send my Widows and bring you back. No cameras, no witnesses, not a single piece of evidence."

"To kill me? Do it, then! What are you waiting for?!"

"Why would I kill one of my most experienced assassins? No, no, it wouldn't make sense. What you need, my child, is to be corrected."

The intonation in that particular word disorients you.

"That agent softened you up, and then Natasha was softened up too, and I realized my methods were no longer effective. So I improved them. I improved them so that none of my Widows will ever again forget their true roots, their true purposes in life."