I Don't Know

"I don't know."

"What do you mean I don't know?" She stood there startled, her mouth agape. "Is this some kind of joke?"

"Listen, I am just helping you get out of here. I don't know where to take you. Don't you have any relatives?" He didn't want to lie anymore so he just told her the truth.

She is a princess after all, she must have somewhere to go or stay, he thought to himself. He himself was staying at a friend's apartment and taking her there was the risk he didn't want to take. He was already starting to regret the plunge he took.

"I…no, I don't have any relatives. All the people I know are present there."

"Any friends?"

"Yes, Lisa and Serena."

"Okay then I shall drop you at their home and we shall part ways. Simple is that." He finalized with the movement of his hand and stood up enthusiastically.

"But they are my maids. They live here." She wanted to slam her head into the nearby wall and then slam the head of that man who was opening the door but halted at her words.

"Excuse me? You don't have any other friends who live outside the Palace?" He pressed over the word 'outside' hoping to make his point clear.

"No, I am not allowed outside." She blinked innocently and he narrowed his eyes.

So that's why you were casually roaming in the streets today was what he wanted to say but stopped. That statement would have owed her an explanation he didn't want to give.

"I only know a few girls and boys who are children of the Dukes or nobles but none of them are my friends." She was still explaining.

"Alright Alright," he cut off her chatter, "atleast get out of this place first. Figure out the rest later."

~

"Are you sure that's the only way we can get out without being noticed? I mean isn't there any decent backdoor exit?" He questioned her while glancing down the window of a secluded tower at the very end of the Palace.

It was one of the six notable towers built artistically on every corner of the Palace's building, two of them at the front which were a little smaller in size but wider and engraved with beautiful patterns.

From afar they just seemed to be decorative additions but now he knew that they had proper spiral staircases inside them which led to the very top where a small room had been built. The room doesn't contain much space but has a huge window which gives off the view of lush cities on one side, a narrow blue sea on the other and a vast desert on the backside. It was a mesmerizing contrast to the eye.

"Technically, I should be the one asking you this because as far as I remember you are the one rescuing me." She smirked and started tying up a rope to the metal staircase outside the room. It was the only strong object that seemed to be capable of holding their weights while they were to climb down.

"I haven't spent my whole life here so how would I know? You did so you know." He shrugged.

"Yeah so do as I say without questioning." She said back in a similar tone and he just clenched his teeth.

This girl was getting on his last nerve for some reason. She was nothing like what he had assumed a Princess to be like, polite and sweet.

"You are…weird." He couldn't help but chim in when she was tying up the ends of two ropes hurriedly and quite skillfully.

"Help me here instead of standing there and passing pointless remarks." As expected, she spat back unfazed by the judgmental comment.

"Sure," He walked closer and sat down on his knees beside her. Even though he was aware of the danger they were surrounded by and the critical situation, for some odd reason he wanted to annoy her so he did the opposite of what she said.

He picked up the spare rope and tied it up with the same rope end with which she had previously tied up another one. Instead of elongation, it just created a jumble of two knots.

"You!" She pointed a finger at him when she noticed what he did, her nostrils flaring.

"Ooops!" He blinked back innocently.

Before a hurricane could have erupted in the little room, they heard multiple footsteps and they could see the staircase vibrating. She peeked from above and saw a couple of guards climbing the stairs, their faces tilted upwards. One of them saw her and shouted, "There she is!"

"Oh God, they are here!" She ran back and slammed the door shut behind her but it didn't close off completely due to the rope. "Now what?" She questioned breathlessly. She regretted choosing that tower because almost everyone in the Palace knew it was her hiding place.

He frowned upon the solution that came to his mind and his inability to think anything else beside that. The voices were coming close and he could clearly hear her heart beating wildly inside her chest.

"The rope wouldn't reach even halfway to the ground." He observed the whole length while remembering the tower's length. "And you can't make it out alive by jumping from this height." He said under his breath.

"And you have thought about this now?!" She almost screamed at him in frustration.

"Seems like we don't have a choice." He closed his eyes for a brief moment and let out a deep breath before reopening them. "I can get you out of here if you promise me you won't question it." He gripped her elbow gently and yanked her away from the door, pulling her in his chest.

She found herself unable to say something or breathe because the man who stood before her suddenly had glowing red eyes instead of the intense black ones. It was as if the dark coals suddenly caught fire.

"Promise?" He whispered.

"Promise." Her lips moved on their own.

Without warning he cupped her fragile frame in his arms, holding her close and secure.

The soldiers saw a man jumping out of the window with their princess clinging onto him!