Sandstorm

The jeep jerked a few times which compelled Claudia to ask, "What's happening?" 

"We are running out of fuel." He said after his eyes observed the fuel bar showing only a liter of diesel left.

"Oh God, then what will we do now?" She looked ahead where there was no sign of life as far as the eye could enclose in its sight. 

Small and large sand dunes rolled everywhere with little white bushes protruding their heads on several spots. The desert wasn't as empty and boring as she expected. There was a huge mountain range running along them on its one side that looked mysterious and beautiful at the same time. 

They came across several sand mountains as well that were different from the sand dunes and appeared more solid. They had an artistic appearance to them as if sculpted carefully by hand. She didn't even realize for how long they had traveled as she was absorbed in gawking around and sharing her opinions with the stoned man beside her who responded little to none. 

"Simple, we will have to walk until we reach the other end." He slowed down the jeep in an attempt to burn less fuel so that they could cover a little more distance. 

It was all for her otherwise he didn't need to. 

"Ah! I don't know what is waiting for me on the other side." She sighed, leaning back in the seat and closing her eyes. The slow speed was making her sleepy for some reason. 

The plan all along was to cross the desert and take refuge in another city that existed on the other side of the desert. Claudia didn't know about the protests that were going on around the Palace. She just didn't want to go back to that place. 

Hellion however knew how serious the situation was hence he wanted to take her as far away as possible. It was one of the most adventurous missions of his life and he was enjoying it. Something that was actually serious and instead of him behind someone, everyone was behind him this time. 

Even though he wasn't getting anything in return this time, he was still willing to fight the whole world. Why? He didn't know. Maybe just to seek some thrill. 

~

She woke up to a sharp pain in her elbow. After pulling herself up, she realized that she had slept on her arm in an uncomfortable position that was causing her elbow to hurt. Rubbing it gently she sat up straight and blinked several times to clear up her foggy vision.

She was still in her seat however her seat belt was loosened. Hellion was nowhere to be seen and immediately she started panicking. 

"Lio?" She called him by the name she remembered the short man addressed him by because both of them still haven't bothered asking each other's name. 

"Lio?!" She called a little louder when the previous call went unanswered. 

When this one went unheard as well, she decided to climb out of the jeep. Maybe he just went for a little walk, she assured herself as she landed on the golden sand that had now cooled off due to the night setting in. When they had started traveling it was hot due to the sun right above their heads but now it was getting quite chilly and she felt a little cold. 

She didn't know where she was going and strangely enough there weren't any footprints in the sand as well. She looked behind herself and saw that her shoes left bulky and noticeable prints on the sand. Then why aren't his footprints here? It's not like he flew above the ground without touching it, she thought to herself frowning. 

Upon mere assumption, she started walking ahead of the jeep calmly, knowing that she was leaving marks behind hence she would easily walk back if she couldn't find him. It was getting dark hence the far away location wasn't as clearly visible as it was in the day. She kept walking with a slow pace, calling his name occasionally. 

Suddenly she felt her clothes flying off with more force as the wind started blowing stronger. She had left her little veil in the jeep and her long hair wasn't tied up as well. The strong wind riled them up in a tangled mass as she tried to gather them up and roll them in a bun. 

The sand beside her slowly started bouncing and lifting off the ground in spiraling movements. 

"Oh no," Her eyes widened as she looked behind herself, her already panicking heart skipping a beat. "S-sandstorm…"