Chapter 3 - Paths

Amity looked at Luz carefully looking at the map and the temple. She stifled a giggle, but couldn't repress a smile. Luz was so odd sometimes.
"Yep! This must be it!" Luz suddenly exclaimed, nearly making Amity jump.
Amity nodded and directed Luz to walk beside her as they strided towards the temple. Once inside, Amity noticed it was completely dark. Yet her and Luz seemed to glow, oddly, as though they were lights. In the middle of exploring, Amity saw Luz glance at her with a puzzled expression. Amity shrugged, picking up on the message. The more and more they walked, the less comfortable Amity felt. She could've sworn walls were getting closer, but at the same time there were no walls. Or were there? It was too dark for her to know. She looked back at Luz, about to ask her if she felt this too, but she was gone. Amity's head impulsively shot everywhere; no sign of Luz.
"Luz?" Amity called out. No response.
"Luz? Where'd you go?" she said, her voice strained now. She was getting worried. It's okay, Amity, she's probably around here somewhere. You just gotta find her. She did as she planned, and traversed the darkness. She couldn't see any sign of her, until eventually, she saw a the figure of a human glowing nearby.
"Luz!" Amity, shouted, relieved. She was on the verge of tears out of worry.
But Luz did not respond, nor make any sign she heard Amity.
Amity ran towards her, until she was right behind her.
"Luz! Where have you been!?"
Luz turned around. "Oh, hello, Amity," she answered in a calm, almost robotic voice.
"Luz, I've been so worried, where di you go!?"
"I've been here the whole time, Amity."
"No you haven't! You just disappeared out of nowhere!" Amity said.
"I'm not sure what you're talking about, Amity. But do not worry, I still love you." Luz smiled.
Amity's stared at Luz wide-eyed, in shocked silence.
"Are you Luz?" Amity asked slowly.
"I must be going," Luz said before walking off, but Amity grabbed her hand- Or, at least, she would've, but her hand went right through Luz's, and the Luz seemed to fade away at the touch of Amity's fingertips.
Amity stifled a scream. She was hardly believing what she just saw. No, that couldn't have been Luz, Amity thought. Luz is okay right? And... and was what that thing it said true?
Her thoughts were stopped by a shriek from a familiar voice.
Luz.
"Luz!" Amity shouted in the direction of the shriek.
She got no response.
"Luz!" she repeated.
Amity expected to hear nothing again, but she was wrong.

"Amity?" Luz called back.