Chapter 11 - Memories

Luz impulsively swung her foot up, kicking the glowing Amity in the face. At least, it would have, except her foot went right threw Amity, and she faded away. Just like the Ghost-Amity things they encountered at the beginning of the temple. Luz stood up and stared down where the Ghost-Amity had disappeared, taking a moment to breathe.

She felt a hand touch her shoulder and immediately karate-chopped whoever was there.

"Ow!" Eda shouted, holding a hand to her face where she was karate-chopped. "What was that for!?"

"You came out of nowhere and it's dark, can you blame me?" Luz replied.

"Fair, I did provoke you. But I was just wondering what was wrong, you yelped out of nowhere and it woke me up," Eda said, scanning Luz with a slightly annoyed and "I want answers" look.

Luz realized she must've screamed and not known it. It was pretty terrifying, the Ghost-Amity.

"Well- some- thing-- that was at the beginning of the temp--" But Luz was cut off by a delicate, "Hey, Luz"

Luz and Eda spun on their feet to see what seemed to be another Ghost-Amity, smiling at them.

"What is that!?" Eda said, bewildered.

"I don't know, they appeared at the beginning of the temple too!" Luz answered as she chopped the Ghost-Amity out of existence.

Eda stared where the Ghost-Amity had been, puzzled. "What... was the point of it..?" she thought out loud.

Luz shrugged. "I don't know." 

The silence between them was broken by another, "Hi, Luz." The two looked at another Ghost-Amity, except Eda noticed it was barely radiating light compared to the other one. Unfortunately, Luz did not notice this, and was already preparing another karate-chop.

"Luz chop!" she shouted as her hand collided with the Ghost-Amity. Luz now realized something was wrong, but it was too late as the thing was falling to the ground. She looked at the couch to see it was empty of anyone. Luz put two-and-two together and deduced she had Luz-chopped the actual Amity.

"Amity! I'm so sorry!" Luz exclaimed, crouching down next to the (hopefully not) knocked out Amity. Fortunately, she was okay, as a couple seconds later the purple-haired witch stirred and put herself up on one arm. She was also rubbing her head where she was hit by Luz.

"Luz?" she spoke up as her vision cleared. "What happened? And what is this place?" she added, looking around at the comfortable room.

"Well- you kinda- passed... out..?" Luz answered gingerly. 

"That seems kind of clear..." Amity responded, contuining to look around and at herself. Her head ached immensely...

"Why does my head hurt so much?" she thought out loud.

"I miiiiight have karate-chopped you in the head thinking you were another one of those you-things...?" Luz said.

Amity stared at her for a few seconds before finally asking, "What's 'karate'?"

Luz sighed. "Amity, I-"

Eda interrupted them, as she knew this was going to go on forever. 

"Look, you lovebirds--"

"Lovebirds!?" Amity and Luz exclaimed at the same time, blushing.

"--can keep talking," Eda continued, "or we can figure out what's happening."

"That sounds like a good idea," Luz agreed, nodding as she helped up Amity from the ground. 

Speaking of Amity, she had noticed her head was feeling better. But she still heard a ringing in her head. At first, she had thought it was from being "karate-chopped," but the top of her head was feeling reasonably better. It felt as though someone was screaming in her head, and it was extremely irritating.

"Don't you hear that?" Amity asked desperately when she noticed Luz and Eda looking at her weird.

"Hear what?" Luz said, puzzled yet intruiged.

"That ringing!"

"What are you talking about?" Eda chimed in.

"I-" But Amity cut herself off, startled. The room around her had turned dark, just like it had earlier. "Luz! We-" But Amity had just noticed Luz was gone. The whole room had disappeared, including the owl lady and Luz. She made her way through the darkness, trying to see if anything was there. Nothing. This wasn't like the darkness that had happened earlier. She looked around skeptically. 

For some reason, she felt weaker even while doing nothing. Like she was running a whole field, except she was simply walking. Her thoughts felt slightly mixed, she couldn't think straight. She tried to ignore it. Now that she had acknowledged her mind, though, she had just noticed the loud ringing had ceased.

"Odd..." Amity said to no one in particular, feeling her pointed ears.

"Odd indeed," a new voice said from nowhere.

Amity jumped and impulsively looked around. "Who was that!?"

"Just me," the voice called again.

Amity spun her head to where she thought the source of it was, only to see darkness clearing out like smoke or fog. Behind it revealed a person in a white coat sitting at a table. Their hair was a dark brown, and they looked aged to around their 20s, Amity guessed. Amity felt like she recognized the person.

"Why don't you come sit down for a drink, Miss?" Felix Farsearcher politely asked, directing to a teapot on the table alongside multiple cups.