Chapter 5 - Stairs

Amity walked beside Luz up the stairs. The stairs were so long. Even if it was making Amity tired, she liked being able to sort out her thoughts.
What was that thing from earlier? The... Luz creature? Was it an illusion? It did fade away when she had made contact with it. What was it's purpose, though? To seperate her and Luz? If so, then that had failed. Amity looked at Luz and smiled. She was glad they were still alive.
She resumed thinking, her face switching back to pensive.
Why would it even want to separate us? Maybe to harm us...? And what is this place? Why couldn't Luz see those dark walls? And why did the templw transform when I touched it?
Amity heard Luz sigh and it brought her back to reality. She decided that maybe striking up a conversation would be a good idea, considering how long these stairs were.
"Is something wrong, Luz?" Amity asked.
"Hm? No, I just wish these stairs weren't so long," Luz replied, giving a pleasant smile. Amity had a small feeling something was on her mind, though.
"What--what happened to you after we got separated?" questioned Amity.
"It--I'm not sure you'll believe me," Luz said, "but, I was looking for you and then I saw you; or at least I thought I saw you, but when I got close I just... went right through you-- or it."
Amity's eyes-widened. She hadn't thought of the possibility of the same thing happening to Luz.
"That... that happened to me, too."
"Huh?"
"I... was looking for you too, and then I found you, but it said some weird things and faded away."
"What did it say?" Luz asked, clearly interested.
"It... sounded almost robotic... and it just kept telling me that everything was okay and that you never disappeared... and, um--" Amity remembered the Luz ghost also mentioned something else.
"But do not worry, I still love you."
"That was it," Amity lied. She didn't really see the importance of mentioning that line of the ghost Luz anyway.
"Huh. Weird," Luz said, clueless.
"Did I-- or... um... that thing of me say anything?" Amity asked.
"Erm--no... I kinda touched it before it could say anything other than 'Hi'." Luz laughed, and got Amity to chuckle, but shortly the two were in silence again.
Amity was racking her brains. The only thing on her mind was what the ghost Luz thing said.
After a while, she decided to work up the courage to speak up.
"Hey, Luz?"
"Yeah, Amity?"
Except Amity realized this was a bad idea, blushed intensely, and lost her confidence.
"Do--I--you, um..."
"What?" Luz looked at Amity, confused.
"D-do you know how much longer the the stairs last?"
Saved it.
"Oh, um, yeah, I think I can see the top now," Luz said, directing above them.
Amity looked up, and could also see the top.

They finally reached the last step, and in front of them, they could see--

"Another door."