Chapter 49

"You're going on a date with Hayden."

"Yes, Gabby, I am."

"With Hayden Cross. The Hayden Cross you wanted to and have tried to strangle on multiple occasions."

"Um, yeah."

"I still can't believe this."

At first, Gabriella Hansen was horrified at the notion of my new feelings for Hayden. I don't blame her. A few months ago, if you told me that I'd develop romantic feelings toward Hayden Cross, I'd hit you over the head with a phonebook. When I told her, she almost turned her MacBook into an iPad, and after a long chat about what happened, how things changed, and how I feel, she's all for it.

Maybe even a little too enthusiastically.

"It makes sense that this would happen," she gushes. "Kismat! It's kismat! The transfers from absolute hate to love. You and Hayden develop a strong bond from the obstacles you were both destined to face together. To set aside differences for the greater good. You're like...you're like Internet teen fiction brought to life!"

"Is that supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?"

"That's for you to decide."

When I make a face, she laughs, and soon grows worried. "Have you told Corry?"

My brother will not take this lightly. In fact, when he finds out, he might just go to the Cross' house and strangle Hayden himself. Or he might not believe me. I mean, it's not the craziest thing to come out of my mouth, but it's definitely up there.

"No," I confess. "I think his head might explode if I do."

"His head will definitely explode when Hayden shows up at your door with a bouquet of flowers."

"You think he'll bring flowers?"

"Ember! Focus!"

"Right!"

A devilish grin spreads across her face. "Or if he comes home and finds Hayden in your bed because you were fuc—ouch! Ember! Why'd you hit me?"

* * *

I check my reflection in the mirror for what has to be the hundredth time in the past twenty minutes.

It's a good distraction from the nervousness that churns in my stomach. I shouldn't be nervous. It's Hayden. No matter how many times I tell myself that's just Hayden, the fluttering sensation in my nerves doesn't wane. The mention of Hayden's name in my mind only intensifies the sensation. So I opt to stare into the mirror for a hair out of place or a clump of mascara, scrutinizing every detail of everything to keep my mind occupied.

I tug at the bright red scarf wrapped tightly around my neck over the black oversized sweater Gabby let me borrow. When I close my eyes, visions of dark harbor waters glistening under lamplights stir across my eyelids. My anxiousness shifts from Hayden to the waters outside of the warehouse. I feel its icy clutch. It pours into my mouth and nose until I'm gasping for breath.

The sound of the doorbell snaps me back to reality. Stumbling away from the hall mirror, I blink several times, and the waters are replaced with pale walls and dark wooden paneling.

You're okay, I tell myself. Everything is going to be okay.

Walking to the front door is easy. Opening it, however, is surprisingly difficult.

"Deep breath," I instruct myself and when I pull the door open, I almost shit myself. Hayden Cross is not at my door.

My brother is.