Chapter 43

"You're lying."

The words feel heavy on my tongue, echoing in my brain over and over and over until the words rumble with my heart, masking the video repeating with them. No matter how hard I try to breathe, all I can do is heave, and my lungs grow hot. And just as the heat in my chest becomes too unbearable, something inside of me snaps and I cry out, tugging on my restraints as hard as I can, baring my teeth like a wild animal.

"You're lying!" I scream, the pain of my restraints only amplifying my fury. "You're a fucking liar!"

Nate's calm demeanor doesn't falter and he mutters something under his breath before stepping closer.

Good! It'll be much easier to tear his eyes out now!

"He was with me when it all happened." I shake my head. "I don't even know if that video is real!"

Nate quirks an eyebrow. "But he wasn't with you the whole time, was he? The hours that lead up to that phone call you got?"

"How do you know I got a phone—"

Nate lunges forward and braces his hands on my shoulders, pinning me in place. "I'm going to fill you in on what really went down, Ember. You're a smart girl. Think about it. How long were you with Hayden? The whole day? For all you know, he could have shot her. How long does it take before someone calls the police when people find their bearings in the first place? How long do you think it took for you to get word of what happened when everything was all clear? Forty minutes? An hour?"

"No," I reply. "Hayden was with his dad. His dad—they—"

"What?" Nate inclines his head. "Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Hayden Cross was lying? Because I was there in that parking lot, Ember. He might not have seen me, but I saw him. Everyone, including his own father, saw him."

A new tightness forms in my chest. Don't listen to him. Don't listen to him. Don't believe a word he says. Nate Lincoln is a liar.

But so was Hayden...

I suck in a ragged breath, fresh tears moistening my sore eyes. Stop listening to him! Stop doubting! But I can't. I can't stop his thoughts from clouding my mind. I need answers. I need to make sense of what Nate is telling me for the sake of my own sanity.

"Let me get this straight," I begin with forced calm. "Hayden got into a fight with his dad. And then he shot my mother in the supermarket parking lot. And then he came to the park to talk to me?"

It sounds even more ridiculous out loud.

"Yes," Nate replies. I burst into laughter.

"Why are you telling me this?" I demand, tears streaming down my cheeks. Nate moves to brush one away but I jerk my head from his reach and he drops his hand into my forearm, gripping my bruised skin lightly.

"Because I think you and I could be good for each other."

My mouth drops open. "You've got to be kidding me."

Nate grins. But instead of sending my heart racing like it used to, my body hums with excitement at the thought of knocking all of those perfect teeth out. Nate moves away from me and begins to stroll circles around my chair. I close my eyes from sudden dizziness, thinking of a song to drown out his poisonous words.

"Not romantically," he corrects.

"Oh, thank god!"

"But I was thinking more along the lines of business. Think about it, Ember. You would never have to worry about money again. All you'd have to do—all you and Corry would have to do is help me."