Chapter 45

• Dedicated to Alice

I wake to the sound of violent claps of thunder echoing through the warehouse. The bursts of sound come one after another in a way I've never heard before. But before I can contemplate it, another sound catches my attention, and when I look in the direction of the footsteps, I see that it is Keith.

"What do you want?" I growl. "What's going on out there?"

"Nothing that concerns you right now."

The longer I hear the thunder, the more I realize it isn't from a storm. The lights and the sound are coming from gunfire. Hayden is here.

"Why are you smiling, sweetheart?" Keith chuckles.

"I told you he'd come," I grin. "You should run if you know what's good for you."

But instead of looking fearful, Keith beams another smile and approaches me, a knife glistening in his hand. "But will he come in time to save you?" he asks. "Or will he find the pieces?"

A tremor of fear passes through me. "You can't hurt me."

"Why not?"

I force myself to motion to the pool of blood beside us and a memory of Derek shooting one of his men passes through both of us. "Would you like to join your friend?" Keith's face twists. Neither of us is sure why Derek did what he did but I doubt it had anything to do with me personally. My situation was merely a catalyst for him to do more harm. I'm sure of it.

"That won't be happening," Keith assures me after several silent moments. He crosses his arms over his chest, making sure that his knife is still visible, and chews on a piece of gum like a neon orange goat. "He won't have the time. You can't really do anything when half of your skull is missing."

"What?"

Keith spits his gum on the floor. Another cacophony of fighting and gunfire rings through the warehouse. This time I hear voices, shouting. "Oh, it hasn't happened yet, but it will. Soon."

I struggle against my restraints. "Are you going to make sure of that or is Nate?" Though my arms grow exhausted, I keep wiggling my body in the hopes that maybe just the right move could set me free. For a second, I swear I feel the knot at the crest of my hands slip but nothing happens. I'm still stuck.

"I'm not sure who has those honors but I do know one thing."

"And what's that?"

"I know that whoever takes out Derek doesn't get the pleasure of seeing you get what you deserve. That's mine, girly. I called it."

Panic explodes inside of me. "The fuck it isn't!"

Keith approaches me, wielding his silver knife between his fingers. The light bounces off of the blade with a sharp glint right into my eyes and all I can do is stare at it helplessly. "If you don't mind me getting a preview of what's under that tight little top of yours..."

"Get away from me you asshole!" I scream.

"Or you'll what?" he smirks. "Sass me to death?"

"If you have any human decency—"

He holds the tip of the blade to my throat. "If I had any decency, do you think I would be doing any of this shit? With them?"

I swallow the pain of the blade. Keith applies some pressure to the knife and I strangle a cry, feeling the knife cut gently into my skin. Warm blood pools at the base of my throat. Just as quickly as he does it, Keith lifts the blade and, to my horror, positions it to the collar of my shirt.

"Please don't." I can only beg. The tremble in my voice makes his grin stretch from ear to ear.

But he doesn't listen.