Chapter 47

I open my eyes to a brilliant night sky that looks too good to be true. For a moment, I wonder if this is what heaven looks like, but the idea is stripped away by the hard pressure that jolts my body and the fire that pours into my chest. I open my mouth to scream and instead gasp from the water that shoots into my mouth, causing me to roll to my side and wretch as hard as I can. As the water leaves my lungs, cold air inflates my burning chest and the pressure returns. I suck in another large gulp of air.

I'm alive. Thank God, I'm alive.

I'm alive but I'm in so much pain.

"You're awake."

A low, inhuman moan gurgles from my chest and I choke on a last bit of water that sputters from my mouth, lips and right into Derek Rodriguez's face. He snarls and moves away, giving me room to turn my side and vomit more and more putrid harbor water.

"Why—" I heave. Forming each word feels like a knife into my throat and I arch up against the wooden dock I lay on, trying my hardest not to scream. Derek presses a firm hand to my head, pushing me back down. "Why did you save me?" I rasp. "How am I alive?"

"I still need you," he murmurs, stroking the wet curls that sit on my forehead. I cringe but it's too much to pull away. "You took quite the fall, Ember. I'm surprised I was able to revive you." He pauses and smiles. "I need that kind of strength on my team."

Bile rises in my throat. "You're not getting an ounce of it."

"I've heard those words before," Derek sighs. "You'll change your mind." He turns to look at something behind us and when I follow his eyes, I can't believe what I see.

"Oh my God." I moan, another wave of nausea pummeling into me, and tears leak from my eyes. "O-oh my God—Oh—my—"

"Shhh," Derek coos. "You'll be okay."

I can't tear my eyes away from the lifeless green eyes that pierce into mine. I can't stop staring at the red blood that stains his eyeballs. I can't stop staring at the fact that half of his skull is missing. Nate Lincoln is dead. Right. Next. To. Me.

"What happened?" I sob. Uncontrollable pain washes through me and I vomit again through my sobs.

"He said the same thing to me," Derek explains. "After I built him into something wonderful. And then he tried to take what was mine. I had to do it, Ember. You understand, don't you? An empire can't accept traitors—even if they're your friends."

A scream rips from my throat. Nate's skin is ashen and purple spots his face. His mouth is open in shock. The image becomes stamped in my mind to the point of me seeing it when I blink.

"No!"

Derek clicks his tongue in disappointment.

For a moment, I can't remember all the bad things Nate Lincoln has done. Even if it was a lie, I remember the boy I met outside of the weight room so many weeks ago. I remember the way he seemed so interested in everything I had to say and the way his eyes sparkled when he smiled. Even if it was an evil smile, it was still so captivating.

"I thought you'd be happy about this," Derek murmurs. "Why aren't you happy?"

"Why the hell would I be happy with murder?" I spit.

"Even after all that he did to you?"

"You're a monster," I breathe. "What would—what would Abigail think of all this?"

This seems to strike a nerve. I don't know why I say it, but I want to see an ounce of pain on Derek's face. I want to see him suffer, even if it is for the briefest moment.