Chapter 3

Apparently, the Universe doesn't believe in giving people a break—or at least giving me a break. To add to the nightmare of this morning, I was horror-stricken to learn that Hayden and I would be sharing four classes this year. And to make matters worse, those full-year classes happened to be one right after the other.

There are laws against those kinds of things, right?

It's times like this where I wonder what awful, unforgivable thing I had done, in this or a previous life, to be granted such misfortune.

Why did we have to be the only two people whose last name started with a 'C' in those classes? Would it be too far-fetched to think that somehow this happened on purpose?

Look at yourself. You're completely insane.

I stare at my reflection in the citrus-scented girl's bathroom at the end of fourth period Pre-Calculus. My eyes are puffy and watering with a bright ring of red around each light iris and along the water line. It's from the three hours of sleep I had gotten last night. I might not feel insane, but I sure do look like I've lost my marbles.

"So what are you going to do?" I whisper to the frowning girl with the curly, pale blonde hair in the mirror. I smile at my reflection. "Stop frowning." If I were Gianna or Gabby, I would be worrying about frown lines already. "Smile more."

Okay, talking to myself and smiling at myself—maybe I am going crazy.

Hayden Cross is back. So what?

If I can care less about frown lines, I can do the same with Hayden Cross.

* * *

Thankfully, lunch rolls around fairly quickly. Despite the cafeteria being so extravagantly animated, I'm relieved to see the line isn't too bad considering today is spaghetti day. Valleyfield High School is one of the lucky few granted lunch ladies who do more than heat whatever gross, super-processed food they've been shipped that week.

"Hey guys." I find my place beside Gabby. Her arm is wrapped and she has a few bandages on her forehead. "How are you feeling?"

"Broken," she says. "Well, just a little hairline fracture. They gave me some ice to help with the pain and the doctor's will give me some heavier stuff after my appointment tomorrow." That's a school nurse for you. You could be impaled and all they would do is give you some ice. "This bruise is going to hurt like hell but I'll be okay."

A broken bone is bad, but not as bad as it could have been. I don't know what I would have done if her injuries were worse. Chad and Alex would have gotten it, that's for sure.

I take a bite out of my garlic bread. "On the bright side we can decorate your cast for homecoming."

"Ember!" Gabby suddenly wails and smacks my back with her uninjured arm. "I don't want to have one for that long! That would be a nightmare!"

I slap a hand over my mouth to keep from choking. "Okay! Okay! Sorry!" I wheeze. "What about Chad and Alex?"

Her face falls from angry to upset and she plays with the pasta on her plate. "Suspended for two weeks."

"That's it?"

Expulsion sounds like a better idea. I know it sounds harsh, but those two have done so much worse when it comes to winning the heart of my best friend.

"Did you guys hear the news?" a new voice says from beside us. Corry Chance doesn't waste time to slide into the booth beside me and grab the garlic bread from my plate. I would have snatched it back if my brother's dark brown eyes weren't blazing from shock and excitement.