T w e n t y T h r e e

"Isn't it so scary?" Sarah frowns.

"What?" Jake voices our thoughts.

"There's three weeks left before graduation," she sighs.

"Yeah, it's really scary to think we'll all head in different directions," Edward nods.

"Where did you guys all apply?" I ask.

"NYU and a few in Boston," Sarah says.

"I only applied to Harvard," Jake replies.

"I'm not going to university, I'm taking over my Dad's bussiness," Edward gives a small smile.

"How about you, Emma?"

"NYU and UCLA," I smile.

"Thought you wanted to go to Yale," Sarah frowns.

"Oh, I forgot I applied there too," I chuckle.

Ever since I was little my mother wanted me to go to Yale, but I didn't like the idea, nor did I think that I'd get in.

"Hopefully NYC allows us both," Sarah strokes my shoulder.

I smile at her and look around in the cafe.

Zac hasn't spoken to me after he left.

He told me that he was going to take a break for a while and when he's back from the break, he'll think about telling me what's been going on.

"Do you know where Zac applied to?" Sarah asks.

"I'm not sure," I reply.

"Think he applied to NYU too," Jake says.

For some reason I felt relieved that maybe we'd be closer if he went to NYU with Sarah and I.

"I'm going to miss you guys so much," I whisper.

"Aww, don't get sappy," Sarah pouts.

When I think of losing them my stomach tightens and even though I've only known Zac a few months, it hurts to think about losing him too.

I give Sarah a smile.

"Promise me we'll all stay intact after school," Jake says.

We all nod and Sarah looks sad, like she'll cry if we were to leave.

I give her a reassuring smile and her smile brightens when our milkshakes arrive.

***

When I get home I fall onto my bed an contemplate if I should call Zac or not.

He'll most likely not even answer

Groaning, I flip over on the bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Fuck it," I mumble and call Zac.

It rings four times before it goes to voicemail.

Rolling my eyes, I put my phone and rush downstairs where an unfamiliar lady is making two cups of coffee.

"Hi?" I step towards her.

Her black hair is in a bun and her blue eyes makes eye contact with mine.

"You must be Emma, I'm Annette," she quickly wipes her hands on the apron she's wearing and holds out her hand to shake.

Hesitantly I shake her hand.

"Nice to meet you," I smile and look at the oven.

"Oh, I'm making créme brele," she sheepishly laughs.

"That's nice, for you and my dad?" I ask.

"No, for desert, your father made some lasagna for dinner," she replies.

"Oh okay, have you met Sam?" I ask.

"Yes, I met him when he arrived from school, I didn't see you come in," she tells me.

I just hope he accepted her

"It was very nice to meet you, can't wait for dessert," I grin and leave, making my way to the living room.

"Hey, Honey," my dad walks in the living room, joining me on the couch.

"Annette seems very nice,"  I smile.

"She is, she's a very good cook and is beautiful in anyway imaginable," he smiles.

"But, Emma," his face turns serious.

"Yeah?" I frown at this sudden change of expression.

"I don't want you to think that I'm trying to replace your mother, even though she hurt me," he tells me, his face turns sad.

"I just felt like it was time to find someone new ," he gives me a small smile.

"I completely understand and if I were in you shoes I would have done the same a lot sooner," I give him a reassuring smile.

"Thanks, Honey," he hugs me.

He never speaks about my mother, since she has broken him after cheating, but I think now that he has Annette in his life, it could help him.

"Let's go eat," I smile.

« · ༆ · »