02|

I leave my bag sitting on the front porch and with a sigh head back out into the rain

I leave my bag sitting on the front porch and with a sigh head back out into the rain. It hits my face with cold slaps but I barely notice it, all my attention on the shadow in the trees. If someone was watching me I'm going to find out who.

With that, I take my first step into the darkness of the forest.

The coldness of the forest enveloped me quickly, taking away any warmth my body had and dousing me in the freezing rain that seems slow but even colder inside the trees. A gasp escapes me, my breath puffing in front of me before evaporating quickly.

I should turn back, go to the warmth of the cottage and unpack. I should wait for Annie to come back and tell her that someone had been watching me. I'm sure she has a reasonable explanation for it. Even with my thoughts swirling around going back my body doesn't turn inside my heavy foot takes another step into the forest. There's no explanation for watching a young girl, especially not from the darkness of a forest.

I not my head and continue on.

The shadows inside the trees have lengthened and my eyes dart around the area trying to see anything that might be out of place, but I'm in a new place and truthfully I don't think I've ever actually been in a forest before.

"This might have been a bad idea," I say the words out loud but then something or someone crunches on a bed of dead leaves to my left and I take off. Rushing towards the sound my feet slap the ground loudly as I move.

I shove past some foliage, keeping my eyes open and wide waiting for the intruder to make themselves known again.

I don't even have time to stop before a dark figure darts from behind a tree and follow quickly.

"Hey," I shout the words but the shadow doesn't stop bouncing from one tree to another. I'm breathless and puffing embarrassingly quickly but I keep up, always just a second behind the shadow. Just on their heels.

The shadow turns its head and for the first time, I see the actual outline of the person I'm following. It's a male, I can't tell much more than that but the image of his eyes spinning to look at me is all it takes for me to pick up the pace as my anger fuels me forward.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have let myself be pulled along like that. I should have taken the moment to really take in the image of the male, at least then I would have been able to give a description to Annie. Instead, as I moved faster through the trees I stopped paying attention to the things around me.

One minute, I'm looking at the back of the boy's head, so close I might actually be able to grab him. The next I'm face-planting into the hard ground, the dead leaves quickly sticking to my rain and sweat sodden face and clothes.

My ankle is held tightly in the roots of the tree beside me and a painful twinge sends itself from my ankle to the pain on my knees. I had apparently fallen into the roots trap, twisting my ankle in one moment and landing hard on my knees the next.