12| Fear is Useless

I know I should call out to Nathaniel but as soon as I knew it was him and not some crazy mountain forest killer - even though technically he is a vampire - my thoughts instantly cleared and I knew I had to find Aislynn even if she lives in these forests I know for a fact how easy it is to get lost and she might get hurt.

With that, I turn on my heel heading away from Nathaniel's crystal clear voice and further into the forest where I can only hope Aislynn had run through.

The underbrush gets worse and the trail that I think I was following falls into disuse and then disappears entirely and as much as it annoys me and excites me at the same time Nathaniel's following doesn't stop. Neither does his calling for my name.

"Morgan." I let out a loud sigh before turning back to where the sound had come from. He's closer this time and I'm sick of looking.

"Aislynn I don't know if you can hear me but don't worry I won't tell anyone about you." Nathaniel's feet crunch some leaves close by. "You can trust me."

A second later Nathaniel rounds a large oak tree with a frown. When he sees me standing there he glares at me.

"Seriously firefly. Running off into the forest is never the right answer." I roll my eyes at him, making a note to ask about the nickname later. I frown back at him for now instead.

"I'm not running off into the forest, I'm taking a calming walk through the forest. At least I was until someone disturbs me."

He rolls his eyes at me.

"So this has nothing to do with what happened when you were meant to be in class today?" His words shock me, a deep blush covering my cheeks.

"How do you know about that?"

He doesn't smile at me as he looks away towards the forest and trees.

"There's not really any secrets at Westtown Peaks Academy." I groan as I take a step on a log beside me, my head in my hands and embarrassment slouching my shoulders over.

"Oh, God. Does Annie know?" He doesn't answer me right now, not until I send my best glare up at him.

"Probably." His voice is low and he looks away from me. "Look Morgan this isn't something you should be embarrassed about -" I cut him off.

"Embarrassed, why would I be embarrassed? It's them that should be embarrassed, not me."

He doesn't say anything for a second then he takes a deep breath, still not meeting my eyes as he starts talking.

"All I'm saying is that this is nothing to stress about or worry about." He ends his sentence as if it's more like a question and my glare worsens on him.

"You think like them don't you? That they shouldn't be punished or anything because it wasn't them but their wolves?"

The silence is long and drags out and I have to roll my eyes at him or else I might actually hit him.

"God. As if all of this isn't terrifying enough now I have to watch out for when a wolf might lose control. This time it was ... well it was whatever that was but what about next time? What if there's no one there to stop one of them? What happens then?" 

My heart hammers inside my chest and the fear that was building before I saw Aislynn comes back in full force. My hands shaking on my lap I quickly put them underneath me so Nathaniel can't see the fear inside of me.

He's looking at me, watching me in a way I feel like I'm being seen for the first time in my life.

"I can see your scared Morgan but there's nothing to really worry about. Just like there are no secrets in the Academy there are also eyes everywhere. Nothing can happen to you before someone like Annie or myself can step in to stop it."