28| A Barrier Blocking Us

Annie didn't bother fighting the men, she took one look at Cedric and me before grabbing hold of us

Annie didn't bother fighting the men, she took one look at Cedric and me before grabbing hold of us. A popping noise rang in my eyes and I felt like I had been swallowing air, my stomach light but full. It took me a moment for the dark blur around me to focus in and suddenly we were all standing in Annie's small office.

A shocked gasp comes from my mouth but no one else seems as confused, instead, Cedric falls into one of the chairs and Lucian checks him over. Annie comes to me, her hands and eyes tracing over every part of me.

"Are you alright, button?" Her voice is filled with worry but my head is still spinning from the sudden changes and my adrenaline-filled heart to pounding so hard that I can't even open my mouth.

She watches me struggle, my eyes seeing deep inside of her, seeing the way hers seem to shake.

"How did you find us?" My voice is scratchy and hurts to talk but I feel a little better after getting something else out. Annie gives me a smile, still holding my face in her warm, small hands she pulls me into a hug.

"Your scream, darling." Is all she whispers before holding onto me as tight as she can.

Something inside my chest starts aching and it takes me a moment to realise that it's happiness - well more contentment. I'm safe, with Annie and the boys, I'm not hurt and Cedric will make it.

Without realising it my vision starts blurring in tears, Nathaniel watches me over Annie's shoulder with a sigh. He looks content as well, or at least as content and happy as I have ever seen him.

Nathaniel walks over to me, still encased in Annie's arms, he wipes away my tears.

"That scream was something else," he starts keeping a happy expression on his face as he watches me, "you were hundreds of miles away but we heard you."

"How?" I ask as Annie pulls back, she moves quickly after giving me another check over to Cedric. Her hands doing the same as they did over me to him. This time stopping every now and again to focus on hurt places.

Blood comes from Cedric's arms and chest but it's a small amount that now we are out of the rain, it doesn't seem as bad. Suddenly remembering my rain-sodden clothes a shiver runs down my spine.

Nathaniel as always notices. He moves quickly to start the fire in the empty fireplace and as the room heats up he places a blanket over me. He's focused now, a small crease between his eyes as he works.

"In your moment of need the spirits of your ancestors gave you power, they filled you with some of their own power and sent your scream to us." He doesn't seem as shocked by the news but something inside of me feels with that same magic.

The spirit of my family had saved my life, I had saved Cedric's life with it.

Nathaniel looks up at me and I give him a small smile.