34 | Everything Comes to A Head

The thudding of the boots on the cold forest floor slowly morphs my heartbeat higher and higher until every slam of their feet vibrates through my chest

I'm holding my breath as fear takes a hold of my hands shaking me until I can't think about anything but how far away they are. I don't look at the forest instead I watch above the tall tree line watching the sky until the sun hints over the edge and I know any second now Austin will walk through the shrubby.

I force myself to breathe in as a solitary bird takes flight.

Annie grabs hold of her staff and I take the hint to grab hold of my sword. The power buzzes through me but the fear in my veins threatens to distinguish the fire.

I breathe out.

Cedric comes up beside me giving me a quick nod before turning to the forest determination colouring his skin as he watches every dark shadow. Lucian is beside him, his eyes also facing forward I can almost feel his fear even though he tries to push it down it's there bubbling away at his conscious.

I want to say something to assure the people around me that it's going to be okay but I have no idea what's going to happen when they make their way through the forest.

The sun rises slowly higher until I can see it peeking around the edge. The feet sound closer, too close.

My head turns to the other side, Nathaniel is standing beside Annie his hands clasped around a sword his knuckles turning white from the pressure.

It only takes me a second to make the connection, my dream we were all standing just like this. Bile threatens to spill from my throat at the idea, my eyes find the sun hanging over the trees now.

The first set of boots come out of the forest at the same time that for a second I almost expect them to turn to shadows and smoke just like my dream, thankfully they all stay solid. Unfortunately they are followed by another row of feet and another until their more than 40 people standing in front of our meagre 15.

Slowly the middle of the crowd shifts and my fire sparks up the sword in anticipation.

Standing in the middle of the crowd Austin walks out slowly, a smirk on his face that sends a flash of sliminess up my spine. This is the first time I'm seeing him after hearing about his past with Cedric.

Cedric might blame himself for his families death but I know without a doubt that it was all this man's fault and he deserves to pay for that.

My fire sparks along the side of my sword again.

"Well. Well, what do we have here?" Austin's voice is filled with laughter, he thinks this fight will be easy that he and his men will easily overpower us and take over the school.

The idea of that has more determination spreading through my body dousing the fear until it's pushed to the back of my mind.

I take a step closer to him and his eyes finally leave Annies to swing to me.