24| Hospital Beds & Dark Pasts

LUCIANS POV

LUCIANS POV

I walk just a little ahead of Morgan, a million thoughts keeping me mostly preoccupied, trying to come up with a way to keep the school here and my pack safe. Even as I stress over this I can practically taste the nerves seeping out of Morgan, as she picks up her pace to keep up with me. She's nervous about where I am taking her, nervous about Cedric and what happened the night before. But even though all this I can feel something else brewing under the service of Morgan and it only takes a moment to realise what, we just walked into the vampire's side of campus and every set of eyes are now watching us with anger and annoyance. The tension filling inside me as I walk with fake confidence through the hallway, gossip and whispers following us. I send some of them glares as we walk but it doesn't stop them.

The tension is suffocating as I try rolling my shoulders and neck for some sort of relief but it doesn't work and I find myself hunched ever so slightly, picking up my pace to get to the other side of the corridor to the stairs waiting there. I almost forget Morgan beside me until she falls into step, grabbing my hand into her soft ones with a smile. I breathe a little easier as the cold brush of her hand brings a smile to my face.

Something inside of my shifts and loosens as I smile down at her and the hallway that felt like it was miles long suddenly comes to an end. Morgan sends a glare at the vampires around us but hardly any of them seem to notice it all eyes on me but with Morgan beside me, I don't feel the cold as much. She warms the room and I feel stronger here with her.

My mind slowly falls back to Cedric, my pack. I know that right now they are hurting, hurting more than I can even begin to understand and in a way they might never even feel confident enough to keep in me. My mind travels back to the assembly, the way that the pack shifted away from me like I was something evil, a plague sent to them to end them. I feel sick when we reach the stairs now taking them two at a time. "He's probably feeding his father ways on getting inside." That vampire had yelled out and now I understand the fear inside of them more, this man had tried to take something important to me away as he did so many years ago.

He's a jealous and rude father, I don't like him much less love him, but how do I tell that to a school where ancestors and family are the biggest things. We enter the next floor at more of a sprint, Morgan quick on her feet beside me. The only person in this school that understands my family, the real one and not the one my father tries to portray to the outside world, is Cedric and last night once again my father had tried to take that away. Not anymore, I won't let that man win.

I can feel Morgans heart beating matching the tempo of my own where our hands meet. My thumb covering the pulse in her wrist where it sends electric shocks through my fingers and into my chest. Her breathing is heavy and some of the smile has dripped off of her face the closer we get to our destination. She's afraid and honestly so am I.