27| All Roads Lead Back to Hell

The car ride back is silent, my mind so preoccupied with all things supernatural that it takes me a moment to realise that this isn't a normal silence

The car ride back is silent, my mind so preoccupied with all things supernatural that it takes me a moment to realise that this isn't a normal silence. The air around is electric as if just around the next bend a lightning storm is buzzing, Cedric has gone tense. It takes me another moment to realise that he is in fact tensed and ready for something.

The next bend comes and I find myself holding my breath ... 1. 2. 3.

Nothing.

Cedric's eyes flash to either side of the road, he continues driving.

My mouth goes dry and I swallow hard in the silence as another bend comes around in the tree-lined street. God, why are there so many bends on this road?

Cedric's hands go white with tension as he holds onto the steering wheel spinning it ever so slightly to follow the road. I almost want to close my eyes afraid of what's on the other side, but again with eyes wide, I come to face nothing but darkened roads.

"What's out there?" My voice is barely a whisper but Cedric hears it and shakes his head ever so slightly.

"Something bad." He breaths out, his eyes flashing to the forest beside us with worry.

"Will we reach the school in -" Cedric immediately cuts me off his head shaking quickly. Something is after us and we are all alone in the winding road of the forest too far away from the town or the school to get any help.

"Fuck." It comes out before I can stop it. I feel sick, Cedric just got out of the hospital and if I had let us go home an hour ago we wouldn't be in this mess. God, it's all my fault.

Another bend peak through the darkness and something in the way Cedric won't look away from the corner tells me that this time we won't be so lucky going around it. Cedric quickly pulls off to the side before the bend and I know we only have seconds. I look at him confusion drawing my eyebrows up but he's not looking at me. He won't take his eyes off the road.

"I need to shift." He tells me quickly. "Wait for me here, okay? Don't leave no matter what. Lock the doors."

I want to beg him, to force him to stay here with me but one second he's there giving me a very serious frown and the next the seat is empty and the door is letting in the cold wind of the night. There is a storm coming, I can smell the rain and lightning in the air but I know it's not close enough to worry about, not yet.

I sit there for a few seconds in complete shock before I slide over the bench seat to the driver's side and slam the doors closed, just like Cedric told me I press down on the lock and wait. My heart is somewhere in my stomach, that's currently twisting with nerves as I look out into the too dark world.

"I can't just sit here." I wish to myself, annoyed when my clenched muscles don't listen to my heart and move. I can't move, I'm frozen here in the middle of the road waiting to see what's out there waiting to kill me.