11| Girl in the Woods

A pitter-patter of rain hitting the tops of the trees filters down to me as I slowly calm my racing heart. I realize pretty quickly that all of the surprises and information coming to the forest might not have been the best idea. Here every shadow seems threatening and dangerous as if the vampires and werewolves of stories are hiding around them waiting for me. But I don't turn around. Instead, I keep my solid march through the trees even when the rain starts hitting the top of my head. I simply pull on the hood of Cedric's jacket.

Cedric.

God, it was just yesterday when I had been so caught up in human problems like having a crush on the cute mysterious boy who seemed to have too many problems and not enough time but now that boy is a dangerous werewolf that doesn't know how to control his said wolf.

I push it from my mind, there's nothing I can do about it, and even if there was I have no idea what that might be. Better to push it away, along with pushing away all of the werewolves who allow those excuses.

Instead, I focus on my walk, making sure to properly step over roots and small shrubs. Trying my hardest to keep my mind blank and open but like most things, my thoughts push forward as the forest is draped into further darkness as a cloud presumably stops over the top of me.

A cold slice of rain travels down my back, pouring from my hair and my mind is instantly filled with worry.

Annie is so sure that I am a witch that I can control the weather much as Annie did in her office. Stopping the wind and rain in an instant but I know myself. As I look towards the slightly moving leaves, as the raindrops in my eyes, there's no stopping this. Not me anyway.

"I am not magic," I repeat out loud as the rain picks up, mocking me as if teasing me that I am nothing but ordinary.

"You don't really believe that do you?" A voice comes from behind me, small and light as if coming from a small child girl but when I turn the leaves hanging lowly on the trees move as if someone had just moved from that position.

A gasp leaves my throat and a chuckle comes from behind me. I spin as quickly as I can but by the time I turn the person is gone again. The leaves shaking from higher up as if someone had been sitting in the trees above me.

I don't feel the fear I would normally fear but something else, something that brings a smile to my face. It's like a child, I realized quickly. A young girl playing tricks and having a good time. Seeing the game now, I'm able to find her quicker in the expanse of trees. She's moving quickly so I guess that she's some kind of supernatural but I don't feel any fear.

I catch a sweep of blonde hair between the leaves, then the flash of white skin beside the trunk of a large tree.

"Are you magic?" I ask the wind hoping to stop the girl in her tracks and finally see her.

My eyes flash to the left where she should be resting but the voice comes from behind me a little laugh.

"I believe so. Though I haven't attended some fancy school like you." The girl is still sitting when I turn to look at her. A soft gasp filling the empty air because sitting in the trees looking down at me isn't the small child I had expected but instead a teenager just like me.

She has blonde ringlets sitting perfectly on her head, her eyes bright blue, shining with excitement and enjoyment as she looks down at me. Her cheeks are rosy and her lips are pulled into a wide smile.

"Hello." She giggles and jumps from the trees. "My name is Aislinn."

I stop myself from being pulled into the shake, I don't want to seem rude to this girl with her childish atmosphere, instead, I place a smile on my face.