Lost and Found

Johnsey managed to climb down the tree, all the while praying that its roots would remain stuck in the side of the cavern

Johnsey managed to climb down the tree, all the while praying that its roots would remain stuck in the side of the cavern. Tying the rope to the sturdiest branch he could find he started the descent down into the mine. Chyna had become silent, and would not move from where she sat.

"I'ma comin' down for you, just hold on a bit!" Johnsey called out. He hated to look down, it was almost hard to fathom how deep the hole was. There wasn't any going back now, he wasn't sure the branch could stand his full weight trying to head back up, and he could hear the tree creaking. it was enough to make him want to vomit as he tried to push back the mental picture of the tree giving way.

"I'm almost there!" Johnsey called, now less for Chyna and more for himself. He could see the floor of the cave. Having enough of the sound of the protesting tree once he was close enough Johnsey jumped, letting go of the rope.

"Did you make it?" Calvin called from above. "Cavin!" Johnsey shouted in a sharp bark, "why are you still here! you're wasting time!" He shouted. 

"Right, sorry jus' makin' sure you got down there. Can't have you busted up...." Calvin called down before getting to his feet and heading for his horse. Johnsey shook his head, "and everybody thinks I ain't got no sense...have a look at that one." He thought to himself. Scanning the dark of the cave, he found Chyna and ran to her.

A lump formed in his throat as he saw red earth around her, the red that covered her skirt and hands, as well as the bundled thing on her lap. "shit..." Johnsey whispered. He went to her slowly and knelt at Chyna's side with caution, lingering in silence. "If that...is all this form you?" Johnsey asked looked at the blood on the ground. Chyna didn't answer, her eyes fixed on the bundle. "is you hurt?" He asked her, still no answer. 

Johnsey reached out a hand towards the wrapped bundle on Chyna's lap and her hands quickly claps over it protectively. "Chyna. If that's what I think it is..." Johnsey said slowly. Chyna started to sob. Uncomfortably Johnsey wrapped his arms around her. "Calvin's going to find Cap." Johnsey said quietly, but that only made her cry more. She didn't want to have him see this, she didn't want to tell him, she was tired of messing up.

"It ain't alright, but it's going to be ok," said Johnsey. holding Chyna in a stiff hug as her crying turn to wailing. Johnsey's eyes fell on a neatly compiled pile of rocks and he shuddered. He wanted to ask, but then he was also sure he knew the answer already and would spare her the question for the moment.

Meanwhile, Cap searched silently with Clint, Anse, Jim, Cotton and Elias. Howls Jr had his nose to the ground and was caught on a scent, then again it'd caught a scent four times already, mostly dead animals or unfortunates caught in the fire. Cap was quickly becoming frustrated, grinding his teeth to keep from saying the colorful things his mind was shouting about his uncle's prized dog.

He took in a deep breath and exhaled, On the bright side while the fire traveled far, it burned out quickly, which gave Cap a bit of hope. 

The search had already lasted for hours, the early morning fell swiftly into the late afternoon. "Maybe we should head back, this late in the day folk start wanderin' bout these trails," Elias said glancing about cautiously. "Folk who might have heard or seen somethin' suspicious.  we ain't gone very far in, you listen hard 'nough, hell you can still hear the Tug." Cap replied quickly.