Adder in the Garden

Chyna ate her food slowly, trying her best to keep polite while silence fell down on them

Chyna ate her food slowly, trying her best to keep polite while silence fell down on them. Cotton talked happily with Huck and Cap made himself preoccupied with Jon.

Ronda cleared her throat and took a sip from her wine glass. "How are you liking it here so far Chyna?" She asked trying to fill the remaining silence.

Chyna gave her a small smile, her eyes darting towards a few of the other men and women at the table as all eyes fell on her. "Well, it-its lovely here." Chyna stammered. She tried her bst to shake the nervous tremble from her throat "Nice and homey...despite the large size. Folk seem....kind." Chyna managed.

Her heart raced and her palms started to sweat as she prayed no one could tell she was lying through her teeth.

A woman who greatly resembled Ronda narrowed her eyes and a scowl slowly spread across her face. The eyes of everyone glanced between Ronda and this woman.

"I don't think we met earlier, My names Ermagene." One woman called from across the long dinner table. She offered Chyna a bit of a smile and Chyna gladly returned it.

Meanwhile the woman next to Ronda gave a soft bitter hum. Ronda's gaze slid over to her slowly. "Roana, why don't you introduce yourself. After all you'll  be neighbors your rooms only three doors down." Ronda said, making little attempt to hide the sharpness of her words.

"I don't see the point, they won't  be here long." She said. "When they return, if they return. I'll gladly  risk getting attached." Said Roana.

Chyna looked to Cap who shared the confusion on her face.

"Nevermind my sour sister." Ronda sighed.

Huck rolled his eyes and leaned over to Cotton "Miss Roana, she don't like nobody. Mean as a gator, only folk she like is Benny, Jon, and Ronda...sometimes I don't  think she even like Ronda." He whispered, Cotton gave a nod and dug back into his green beans and potatoes.

Chyna listened to everyone talk as they eased back into groups of conversation, again she found herself alone. She couldn't  mix well with what was being said. The men talked about political  affairs, the management of the estate, and about Cap's fabled gunmanship - as told by all the papers.

While the women went on about the happenings of the city, gossip shared amongst themselves and about fashion they had heard about in town.

Chyna couldn't find a way into any conversation, she'd  almost wished  she had gone to sit with Huck and Cotton. Or even with the children ar a seperate small table.

Glancing at the children's table Chyna spotted a small child grimacing down at her plate. "Don't pay her any mind. That's Sable's child, Pearl. She is picky about vegetables." Ermagene called with a giggle.

"Stubborn as the clams pearls are found in. I guess it's my fault for naming her Pearl." Sable said.

Chyna smiled "Oh that's easy." She said gathering her plate she walked to the kids table.