Quiet Gatherings

Cap sat across from Chyna at the kitchen table, He had gotten Cotton up and the two had managed to get the animals safe before the snow storm hit

Cap sat across from Chyna at the kitchen table, He had gotten Cotton up and the two had managed to get the animals safe before the snow storm hit. Cotton sat near the roaring fire with his breakfast and one of the books from Cap's small collection. He munched away perfectly content with not being pelted with snow that almost felt sharp.

Cap's fingers warmed themselves on Chyna's  hands as he covered them with his. "So...tell me again, will ya?" He asked her. Chyna released a long breath "Miss Levicy thinks we ought not have it." She said. "Kinda late for that now ain't it?" Cap muttered with a scowl, eyes focused on Chyna's hands. "I didn't have nothin' to say to her about it before - nothing we could do, if we wanted to. Woman's been wound up tighter than a clock with all that's goin' on, but still..." Cap grumbled.

Chyna side glanced, "well...don't know if there are any 'round here. But when I was small there was a woman across the river, made these special pills that - well, you know. Levicy said to go there." Chyna said.

"Not on her life or mine." Cap said quickly, still he sighed "I'm gonna ask again...you, you want it right?" He asked.

"I didn't, the thought scared me right and truly outta my skin." Chyna spoke in a soft shaken chuckle. "But I do now, its mine - ours, we made it. I'm not sure how this works, but it's funny..." Chyna pulled one hand away from Cap's and rested in on her stomach. "I already love it. I can't see it, I only jus' confirmed it was there and still....Iris says not all women bond to it so fast. I figure we're supposed to belong to each other." Chyna said.

Cap exhaled in relief and smiled.

"what'cha gonna call it?" Cotton asked.

Chyna and Cap looked to each other "I think it's too early for that Cot." Chyna giggled. Cap smiled bashfully and rubbed the back of his neck. "If it's a boy," He started, pausing as his ears and cheeks tinted a faint pin, Cap cleared his throat, "Can we...would you mind it being a Junior? Ya know the Third." Cap asked.

Chyna watched him with a blank gaze, she wanted to tell him yes, but that would make in undeniable that it was his. Levicy was right in one thing, If they didn't have to scream it out to the world it was probably best they didn't. "You want folk to know, outright like?" Chyna asked with caution.

"I don't give a damn who knows. I ain't afraid of nobody and nothin. I wasn't jokin'" Cap said flashing her a wicked smile. "I'm the  most dangerous man in the world. The kid won't have much, but it'll have us, Jon, Chastain, Clint, Iris, Benny. Ma too, when she stops bein' a stubborn scardy cat." Cap said.

He gave Chyna's hand a squeeze, "I ain't stupid. I know full well what they do to folk like us and havin' kids. But they aint got me dangling from no rope yet an' I dare em' to try it." for a moment a frigidness came across Cap's eyes, a blizzard in them to rival the one outside.

Chyna watched him carefully, had she not known him, that look could have sent her running out the door. Be it he wasn't looking at her with that frightening coldness. Cap was looking at all those not present, those against him.