Regrouping

That night Anse permitted Chyna to stay the night at his families home

That night Anse permitted Chyna to stay the night at his families home. She selpt on a cot on the floor of the girls bedroom. In the night Cap woke to check on her, only to find he couldnt fit a foot near Chyna. Cotton, Arvella, Sarah and Robert E. had all fallen asleep huddled around her.  Some how Sarah had gotten hold of one of Anse's farming tools as it was tucked under her arm. While Arvella held onto a smithing hammer for horse shoes. Robert E. sat propped up on the floor with his back against the bed, a small riffle laying in his arms.

Cap chuckled at the site of the little gaurds before turning to leave. He had a long day ahead of him when the sun came up. He would need to start on that cabin and get it done quickly. With his Pa buildinf a hideout in the hills for the family, Cap figured he would build his own cabin somewhere near it. Those odd groups who liked starting fires were now the least of his worries.

Now they had a bounty hunter with a craving for vengence on thier hands and god only knew how many other hunters would seek the hefty bounties.  Cap didn't have it in him to tell Chyna that Cotton, who never attended the shooting, was wanted as well.

Cap crawled into bed and exhaled. He didn't even notice Johnsey watching him from the bed across the room. Jim had fetched Johnsey from his own cabin, it was safer to remain together for a while. "Thats your fourth time up to check on her...she aint going no where." Johnsey yawned.

Cap glanced at him, Johnsey had been a lot more tolerant of Chyna today. It could have been to make things easier for Cap, having lost a dear friend today. Or it could have been having to look at Chyna's face. Sure both men had seen guy's faces all busted, swole and broken, but it's a different horror the see it on a woman. It was a kinda pain no woman should have to feel.

Cap was quiet for a while and then slowly started to speak. "He knocked out three of her teeth Jonhs...." Cap breathed, any time he tought about it he just got mad all over again. "With his pistol" he added. Johnsey fell silent. "What kinda man is that?" Cap asked.

"One thats after all of us. Isn't that jus a scary thought? .....did he really scalp Skunk Hair?" Johnsey asked timidly. He wasn't as fearless as his brother or father and to be honest this ban sounded terrifying. Johnsey while tall and layered in muscle as about as vicious as a puppy, and he knew it. Compared to Cap, who was tall, lanky, softly toned but as feirce as a mountain cat.

"I aint scared of him Jonhs, I'm gone kill him. And when I do. I'm coming for blood, brains and balls. Bastard went to far." Cap murmured turning his back to Johnsey. Cap closed his eyes and tried to find sleep, but couldnt stop picturing Skunk Hair's face.

Fall was getting colder and so were the hearts of the Hatfield leaders. Jim and Anse had gone into the hills with a few able bodied men to start on the hideout. Meanwhile Cap enlisted Lark and French to help with his own cabin.  He'd asked Johnsey but Johnsey had other plans for the day.

"Miss Levicy" Chyna called entering the kitchen. "You shouldn't be up." Levicy said curly. Chyna managed a smile "ya know....I aint one for sittin still miss. I don't think that man would stay in Virginia....not if he had any good sense." Chyna said.