Chapter Two

Walking into the class you saw the tables, chairs, as well as any other obstacle that could possibly 'get in the way', had been pushed to the sides of the classroom. "Another practical class huh?" you chatted amongst yourselves, this wasn't out of the ordinary at all. Since Lupin became the D.A.D.A professor, most of the lessons had turned out to be practicals. You believed he simply wanted the students to actually know how to use the magic they were learning in their theory classes, not just hope they could wave their wand any old way and have it work out for them. You'd never had a personal one-to-one interaction with him, however, unlike most of the other professors he hadn't once thought to use you to do small tasks. It felt a little strange to you, it was almost foreign that someone wasn't using what you, or any other Hufflepuff for that matter, for what you were most known for in the school.

Half-listening to the professors' lesson plan, you watched as students crammed into a queue, this was a very usual practice for Professor Lupin. It could easily be 'safe' sparring against other students or even a magical creature we were meant to one by one. "I want everyone who didn't have a go last time to have try, let's say... Out of fairness." He spoke, perking up you looked around the queue slightly only to have a surge of anxiety strike through you. The boggart box from a couple of months back stood tall beside the dark arts teacher. You had quickly hidden at the back of the queue out of fear, you didn't want everyone to know what scared you the most, let alone face it head-on. Not a single inch of your being was ready for that to happen.

Watching as the queue shortened, you felt your heart pound against your chest, with every step forward you felt your breath speed up, a cold sweat creeping up on you until you were there. At the front of the queue, you stood, clutching the bottom of your skirt with one hand, your wand gripped tightly in the other sweaty palm. You made direct eye contact with the messy brown-haired teacher for a split second, your eyes immediately plummeting to the ground, waiting for him to say the words he'd said to every student before you. You felt your stomach flip and turn as your body went stiff, unmoveable. That's when his lips moved, like the most horrible curse you could ever dream of, "Alright (L/N) you know what to say right?" he asked causing you to look at him once more with your frightened eyes. Tears blurred your sight as you lightly shook your head, a look of worry flashed across his face at this, he had been saying it for the past half hour after all... who wouldn't be concerned?

"Think of whatever scares you the most, then think of whatever you can to make it funny. Once you come up with something, say the spell 'Riddikulus'," he spoke quickly in a calm tone, trying to explain what he had explained to every student before you once over. "Say it with me, alright? three... two... one.." he counted, you tried to keep your throat from closing up as best you could. "Riddikulus," you said in unison, your voice far more shakey than his. Silently giving you the okay, he pointed his wand at the briefcase. Then everything went fuzzy like static, you saw the case open but then you felt yourself falling, everything was numb. You tried to move your fingers but struggled to even find the strength to open your eyes. The last thing you remember hearing him say were those words... 'Riddikulus'. 'How strange' you thought as your world caved in.