Chapter Thirteen

Letter in hand, your head flooded with so many scenarios that could possibly happen when Remus received the letter. You didn't know what to do if he decided not to turn up, or what to do if a student or professor found it before him, even if it was highly unlikely. Turning the last corner, you shuffled your way as quietly as you could over to the study door. It was late, so you had hoped in your heart that he would be fast asleep. Taking a deep breath, you crouched down, swiftly slipping the note under his door, immediately standing up to walk away.

Your heart stopped as you turned to go back to the Hufflepuff common room, stormy grey-blue eyes were staring back at you. He looked so sad but so happy to see you outside of classes. "(Y/N)?" He took a step closer to you, reaching his hand out as if you would disappear if he didn't touch you soon. "Hello" you felt like you were out of breath, even if you were breathing perfectly fine, almost like a weight had pinned itself onto your back.

Carefully, he took a few more steps forward, lightly grazing your arm with his hand. His shoulders relaxed as if he thought you were merely imaginary. Unable to keep up with the pace, you let out a gasp. He had pulled you into a tight hug before you were able to even register what was happening. Your head had been planted on his chest, while his head lay on top of yours, surprised by the sudden hug you found yourself sinking into the affectionate gesture.

Feeling his lips gently press against your forehead, you finally looked up to see a few tears trickling down his face. Your heart started to crumble at the sight, you had never meant to do this to him. Quickly, you wrapped your arms around the man, pulling him closer to you than you ever had before. "I'm so sorry Remus" you whispered out, sincerity dripping from every word as you felt his arms tighten around you. He was shaking, letting out silent sobs. 'Am I why he's been ending classes early...' Tears pricked your eyes at the thought, stinging as you held them back.

Guilt slipped down your throat like a cup of fire whiskey, burning the entire way down as you let out a shaky breath. Without a word Lupin pulled away from the hug, lightly slipping his hand into yours as he opened the door to his study, leading you inside as he disregarded your note on the floor. You both didn't need it anymore, you had already met with each other again. He guided you over to the desk where the two of you fell asleep together, pulling up an extra chair for himself as soon as he saw you had plopped down on your seat. Holding your head in your hands, you couldn't find a way to stop crying, you finally had to face the man you had hurt so badly, and you weren't at all ready.