Chapter Three

Batting your eyes open, you squinted at the bright shining light that seemed to encase you. Slowly lifting yourself up, you let out a whine, your hand immediately flying to caress your pounding head. Sighing slightly, you opened your eyes once more to spot your dark arts professor sitting quietly beside you. "Sorry sir..." you muttered, ashamed of yourself for not being strong enough to face your fears. Lupin let out a short, almost worried-sounding laugh as he helped you up. "There's nothing to be sorry for (L/N), you simply fainted" he smiled kindly, reaching into his pocket he pulled out something. "Here, eat, It'll make you feel better" he spoke trying to pass you a piece of chocolate, blinking you smiled awkwardly shaking your head. "Sorry sir, I can't have any... Thank you though," you kept your smile as you declined the offer, the brown-haired professor, however, was seemingly perplexed.

"I... don't quite understand?" His eyes held a tinge of confusion, alongside even more worry. 'Does he think I don't eat?' you immediately overthought the issue waving your hands you held your smile, laughing it off. "Professor I'm lactose intolerant, I can't eat dairy!" You explained shaking your head as you continued to laugh, your (e/c) eyes meeting with his once more. Letting out a sigh of relief he relaxed his shoulders, a half-smile on his lips as he glanced away from your gaze. "Oh well... At least it's not contagious," He joked, you remembered hearing that he normally gave chocolate to students who had fallen ill in his class or that he seemed to favour. It was a sweet thought and for most a sweet reward.

He abruptly stood up, holding his hand out to you. "Madame Pomfrey wouldn't normally allow this, but would you like me to escort you to your house, Ms. (L/N)?" He asked, mischief in his tone as his lips pulled themselves into a smile. You both knew full well that the nurse had to sign you out beforehand, the professor was lucky that you weren't a boring student. Giving him a small grin, you took the professor's hand, he carefully helped you up from the hospital bed you were laid on. Linking arms with you for support, Lupin walked with you slowly as you left the hospital wing, occasionally double-checking how you were feeling.

An awkward silence had fallen upon the two of you, unlike most people you had found it curiously hard to hold a conversation with the professor. Though the quiet was deafening, it was almost comforting to be able to walk in silence with someone, down the halls of what was normally a bustling school filled with all sorts of mischief. It was normally only this quiet when you had snuck out with Valerie to go stargazing at the astronomy tower after hours. Suddenly, he cleared his throat looking out one of the window arches, "So... do Hufflepuffs still get stuff from the kitchens like they used to?" This brought a smile to your face, 'He must have been friends with the house-elves when he was in school!' The thought made you joyous. Not many people outside of Hufflepuff knew about the kitchens or the house-elves that ran them.

"I was in Gryffindor," He chuckled, trying to make conversation, "But my friends and I used to go to the kitchens to get snacks if we couldn't sleep." His voice held pride, as he spoke about his own time at the castle. 'And he must have great friends.' Your smile grew to a grin, glad that he had a good time. "Yes, we do still get stuff from the kitchens... Would you like anything?" You asked, turning your gaze from the hall to the professor. He nodded, a soft chuckle leaving him as he reminisced, "I wouldn't mind a hot chocolate honestly... If you'd like we could go to the astronomy tower?" He offered kindly, thinking about it for a minute, the thought didn't seem at all bad. Nodding you agreed to go along with his plan, "That would be lovely, professor" you agreed, your cheeks starting to hurt from smiling so much. "Please," his eyes met yours again, a glint you couldn't quite place shining through them, "Call me Remus!".