Chapter 28: Acceptance

Yuuji walked back to the cafe and saw Kei blowing on a cup of coffee. He smiled weakly when he saw that Kei saw him. The two walk towards one another and since Kei didn't see Shin walking beside Yuuji, it was already obvious as to what happened, but maybe he was wrong.

So he asked. "What happened?"

Yuuji shakes his head.

And that was the only answer Kei needed to see to understand. Yuuji had something to say though. "I feel lighter now. It felt...I don't know an exact word for it, but I feel more relaxed now that I've finally told Nakamura how I felt."

"That's good." Kei nods proudly.

"Anyways, what do you want to do today? Since we're already here and all."

"Hmm...Let's get you something to eat from the cafe first and browse around the mall."

"Okay."

The pair walked towards the cafe. As they walked, Kei remembered that he had a question to ask Yuuji, something that he had been dying to know about ever since he found Shin was the one Yuuji liked. Kei asks eagerly,

"By the way, I didn't know Nakamura-kun was dating someone. Who's he dating?"

"..."

Yuuji ruffles Kei's hair and laughs.

"EH!? What's going on!? What am I missing!?"

Meanwhile...

Haruto was helping his mother hide some decorations.

"He won't find it because I swear if he actually rummages through the trash for no absolute reason, I'm done." Reiko said, hiding small decorations wrapped in several layers of plastic, and putting it underneath a pile of trash so deeply into the trash bin.

"What about the things Shin's buying?"

"Oh right! Um..."

"We'll think about it later."

"Okay."

"Haruto!? Where are you?"

"Shin!?"

They hear a familiar voice near the entrance. Reiko nods at his son and Haruto immediately rushes to where Shin is. Haruto quickly asks as he checked all over Shin to see if there were any injuries. "What's wrong? What happened!?"

"We need to talk."

Shin takes Haruto's hand and they run up the stairs, entering Haruto's room.

Haruto worries even more.

"What happened, Shin?"

Shin sat down on the bed, pulling Haruto down with him.

"Takahashi confessed to me."

"HE WHAT-" Before Haruto could scream, Shin covered Haruto's mouth and held his arm with his other hand, because Haruto was about to get up. He didn't let go until he felt that Haruto was calm enough to talk which didn't take long. Haruto clears his throat and repeated what Shin said. "He confessed to you!?"

Shin nods.

Haruto was about to ask what Shin did, but the answer was already obvious so he erased that completely from his mind. "Why did he confess?"

Shin answers, "He felt bad about what he did to me in the past. He also just realized that he had feelings for me. And he wanted to thank me..."

"...I see."

"Haruto, there's also another reason why I wanted to talk to you." Shin adds. Haruto stays quiet, nodding at Shin to continue. "Recall that summer day, when you asked me why I didn't like physical contact and I said that I didn't want to remember?"