Baby Steps

"Your secrets keep you sick, your lies keep you alive."-The Drug In Me Is Reimagined, Falling In Reverse

※ Eliana's POV ※

"Great! Now open your fist and push forward!" Dante said from behind me with a strong, determined voice. 

I had my fist clenched tightly close to my body and I summoned every strong positive emotion, extending my hand quickly and opening my palm. 

My concentrated face fell into one of disappointment when nothing happened. I watched the scarecrow in front of me, swinging slightly as the wind blew through the fields. 

I huffed and dropping my hands, I turned around to face Dante. I looked at him with a grim expression and he grinned at me. 

"Eli-"

"I told you! I can't do it! I'm worthless!" I interrupted him and threw my hands up in frustration. 

We have been in the exact same position for the last couple of hours, doing exactly the same thing, over and over again. And I failed every single time. 

What I was trying to achieve was to conjure fire in my palm and shoot it towards that damn scarecrow in the middle of the field. Dante said that in order to achieve that I need to think of positive feelings that I have felt in the past; happiness, satisfaction, cheerful thoughts, and blissful memories.

"You're not worthless! Stop saying that. It took me months to learn how to properly conjure fire on my palm. Everything is new for you, Eliana. Give yourself time to process." Dante said and patted me on the head, looking with empathy down at me. 

"You're right" I sighed and cracked my knuckles, glancing back at the scarecrow that remained untouched.

"Now, take a break, rest for a while and when I return we'll start again," Dante said and started walking away. I sat down on the soft grass and sighed tiredly appreciating the break and the silence.

The silence reminded me of a certain someone though, who was being... too silent.

Hey Kara

Hey Eli

What's up with you lately? Why are you so quiet?

I just don't have anything to say...

What? I don't believe you. You always have something to say. You know, snarky remarks, rude comebacks..., I snorted and pulled some grass with my fingers.

I'm just- She sighed, stopping mid-sentence. I'm just tired, Eli.

Oh... What can I do about it?

She remained speechless for a little while as I tried to think of ways to help her. 

Mate, she said abruptly and I froze. 

What?

Eliana, I'm tired of being here, inside your mind. I know that I'm here to protect you, but I'm clearly useless now. You have your mate to protect you and now you know that you are a phoenix and you have unlocked your powers so what am I doing here? 

She paused for a while and I could almost feel her rapid breaths on my face. 

Oh yeah, that's right. You don't know if you want your mate yet, so you won't complete the bond and I'm fucking stuck inside of you until you decide. HE IS YOUR MATE ELIANA! He won't leave you, he won't hurt you, he won't break your heart. SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?