Chapter 6 - Theo

Tired and frustrated, I drew the hotel curtains shut, the curtain hooks rattling.

Despite knowing what had gone on with Kaden, we were still no closer to the truth. And it was pissing me off.

Halia had told us the bare minimum about the past few months. Even though she alluded to a pattern between these murders, she never actually told us what the pattern was.

Understandably, Ember had been happy to see her friends again – and quickly caught up with Wednesday over trivial gossip – but even Ember still didn't know what had happened between Wednesday and Al.

"You okay?" Ember called softly to me as she walked into the bedroom.

We were staying in the same hotel as the night before, but it wouldn't be long before the money would start running low and we'd have to find somewhere else to stay. For tonight, at least, we'd splashed out and gotten separate rooms for all of us.

Ember didn't have to be in my bedroom, but here she was; standing in a pair of cotton shorts and an oversized t-shirt that hung off a shoulder.

"Yes, fine." I replied, the words coming out sharp and irritable.

"You know you can talk to me, right?" She came over to me at the window and looped her arms around my waist. "I'm here for you."

I was pissed off at her as well. Not only had she deliberately led me on by telling me how attracted she was to me, she'd also instantly believed everything Halia told us.

"We still don't know what's happened with Kaden." I managed to spit out through gritted teeth and a tense jaw.

"We're closer...closer than we were before than we got here." She pressed her lips against my shoulder.

You and I are further apart than we were...

The pack splitting apart had torn me to shreds. I had spent so, so long searching for them, and for what? For a few months of reconciliation before everything ended all over again. At times, I couldn't help but think everything I did in looking for them was trivial.

I couldn't decide what was worse: not finding my pack and staying alone, or finding them and ending up alone all over again.

I had Ryder though, and Thea too. But some part of me was set on pushing Ember away.

I missed her more than I dared to admit...even to myself. Before her, I never realised how much love could hurt. How much my soul could feel so broken without her near me – emotionally and physically alike.

Yet it wasn't like I was the only one being distant in our relationship – both of us were drawing away from one another.

I hated it. I hated it so fucking much it hurt.

I love her. I love her so fucking much it hurts.

"Do you want me..." Ember began, letting go of me and taking a couple of steps back – yes I want you, I want you all the time even when shit's going down, I want you emotionally and physically, I want all of you – "Do you want me leave you alone tonight?"

"No!" I half-shouted, before lowering my voice, exposing my vulnerability around her, "Please...stay with me."

Cautiously, she took my hand and slowly led me towards the bed. She let go of my hand and turned round, facing me as she collapsed backwards onto the bed.

The soft quilts and her long golden legs beckoned me to join her.

"Wanna know something?" She smiled, a shy sort of confidence coming over her.