Chapter 10 - Theo

The potent scent of sweat was the first thing I smelt when I woke up. I shook myself awake and looked down at Ember; she was completely drenched in sweat – its salty residue made translucent tracks all over her skin.

Pulling away from her a little, I let her roll onto her back. It was only then that I noticed her head was twisting from side to side quickly, her lips beginning to murmur something.

"No...no...no, please..." She mumbled to herself, "No...no...no, please!" She repeated herself, forcing me to wonder what horror she was dreaming about.

"Hey, Em." My hand closed down on her shoulder and I began shaking her lightly, "C'mon, you need to wake up."

Rapidly, she woke up, turned to me and buried her face in my chest. Tears dampened my bare chest; her fear intermingling with my worry.

"What do you keep dreaming about?" I stroked her greasy hair back.

She shook her head and sobbed a little more, "It doesn't matter."

"It matters to me." I told her, keeping my tone steady without forcing her.

"Okay...I think I'm getting night terrors again." She took her bottom lip in between her teeth and worried it, her eyes struggling to look up at me.

"I kinda figured out that part." A smile pulled at my lips in a vain attempt.

"I should get up..." Ember moved away from me and pushed her hair back into a ponytail.

"Em, wait..."

Ignoring me, she swung her legs out of bed and planted them on the floor, before standing up. Her knees instantly gave way and she collapsed quicker than I could get out of bed.

"Holy shit, Ember!" Dropping down onto the cold carpeted floor beside her, I cradled her head in my lap. "What's happening to you?"

Her lips were cracked and dry, through her entire face shined with sweat and grey circles marked around her eyes. She shook her head, "Nothing..."

Slipping my hands under her, I raised her back onto the bed. "Don't lie to me. Not about something like this." I gestured to her fatigued body.

She only closed her eyes, like she was going to throw up, but simply rolled over away from me.

"You're gonna have to talk to me eventually." Were the last words I threw at her before walking off.

If she isn't lying to me, she's not talking to me at all.

I slammed my door as I reached my own bedroom, feeling my fury build – I'd told her everything that had gone on with Kaden. Regardless of the fact I didn't tell her straightaway, I told her as soon as I knew it would amount to something.

Whatever was going on with Ember and Thea had certainly amounted to something – them being ill and bed-ridden.

After getting my breathing under control, I pulled on a t-shirt and stormed back out of my room.

"Thea?" I knocked lightly on her door.

"Come in..." Her voice was distant, even though she was only on the other side of the door – like the ocean's waves were carrying her away from me.

A slight push and the door swung open surprisingly easily.

"Hey sis...how are you doing?" I crossed the room to her bed and sat down on a rickety wooden chair beside her.

"Mhm...been better." Her eyes barely opened, widening into slits the way Ember's had.

I slipped my hand into her palm, squeezing her sweaty hand.