Chapter 13 - Ember

His lips traced patterns of fire down my body; our limbs intertwining and our skin gliding against one another's. His touch set my body alight, burning through every inch of my skin.

"Theo..." I breathed out his name, reaching my arms out towards him as he neared the pool of heat between my legs.

He looked up at me and my blood ran cold.

Killian.

For some reason, it wasn't Theo touching me and kissing me – it was Killian.

"What the f–?" I started exclaiming before Killian hovered over me, pressing his hand over my mouth.

"Don't pretend like you don't want this, Ember." He smirked, clamping his hand tighter, his cold fingers reaching across my cheek.

Writhing under his grip, confusion seeped into my body, a slow poison that quickly took over. I shook my head vigorously, tears threatening at the edge of my vision – how the hell did all this happen? How was I lying completely revealed underneath Killian?

Taking a calming breath, I remembered the power that flowed through my veins. Summoning the fire, I felt the first sparks of my Phoenix flickering to life once again.

The Phoenix crept into my heart, signalling that my eyes most likely had flames dancing in them.

Killian recognised this, and with that recognition, a vision of both intrigue and fear overcame his cruel face. His hand slid off my face, finally allowing me to wiggle from out underneath him.

Thankfully I was wearing more clothes than I'd originally thought, but I still had to rearrange my top all the same. The idea of being naked in front of Killian made me sick to my stomach.

That sickening sensation morphed into anger and rage – fuelling my Phoenix further.

How dare he even touch me? How did I let him?

Gathering the fire within me, I rose to my feet and faced him.

Killian raised an eyebrow at me, his doubtful look mirroring Kaden's exactly. And my heart froze – but the Phoenix was too far gone now, spiralling out of my control as the first flames slipped down my arms. Falling off my fingers and sparking against the floor.

"Ember." Killian's voice softened, and his eyes did the same. "Ember, please. It's Kaden. You wouldn't hurt me, would you?"

A momentary disbelief passed through me, yet there was nothing I could do to stop the Phoenix. I tried with the pure will to hold back the flames; the Phoenix pushed through regardless.

I squeezed my eyes tightly shut as the flames consumed me and rushed out towards Ka-Killian – whoever it was. Dread and fear encompassed me as I fell back into an unquiet darkness.

~

I woke up screaming.

I woke up screaming with someone strong holding me down. I hit out at them, balling my hands into fists but refusing to let my panic descend into flames.

"Ember, Ember! Relax, it's me. It's Theo." His insistent voice breached my hysteric haze and I was able to stop screaming and attacking him.

"What the hell happened?" I sat up rapidly, scanning for anyone else –desperately trying to regain my breath.

I recognised the woods. We were in Lake Oldoy. Home.

"What happened with you?" Theo frowned at me in his worry, his hand rubbing my shoulder lightly.

"I was...asleep?" I found myself frowning right back at him, confusion coursing through me.