Chapter 17 - Theo

The moment I closed my eyes, I felt her body weight against mine. Her smooth legs grazing along my thighs, her heated palms against my bare chest, and her perfect lips pressed to my neck.

"Ember..." Her name alone seemed to elicit further desire for me, as if slipped out of my mouth. There was more than desire though, it was always more than lust with Ember.

I didn't know where we were, but it didn't matter. Not right now.

"Ember, what's happening, baby?" Muttering into the curls of her hair, I closed my hands around her waist – the curves between her hips and her breasts where my hands always seemed to fit perfectly. I shook my head, wondering aloud, "Is this even happening?"

"Well, it definitely feels like you want it to happen." Ember smirked, climbing into my lap and sliding against my crotch.

"Tease," I accused, even as I caught my bottom lip between my teeth.

"You love it." She grinned at me, leaning in close to me, her nose grazing against mine.

"You know I do." And with my hands tightening around her waist and a quick tilt of my head, I kissed her. Instantly feeling that reminiscent euphoria that could never grow tiresome. Not with her; not with Ember.

She moaned into my mouth as our kiss intensified and I pulled her even closer to me. Her body moved seamlessly against mine; our bodies tied together in a harmonic rhythm.

"Is this reconnecting enough for you?" She murmured against my lips, pulling off my t-shirt and pressing hard against my chest – never ceasing her grinding over my crotch.

But she's dead. A pile of ashes. The thought sliced into my mind, through the lust and love-filled haze with blinding starkness; reminding me of what happened at Lake Oldoy.

I cut off the kiss abruptly, pulling my head back from hers, cupping her face in my hands and frowning at her. "Are you even really here?"

Tilting her head, she frowned back at me, a smile still playing on her lips. "What are you on about? Of course I'm here."

The memory of Ryder's fear after Killian somehow imitated me back in Hopecliffe resurfaced – bringing along it a rush of nausea. My hands froze on her waist.

"Tell me about the first time I touched you." Forcing a smirk on my face, despite my sudden discomfort, I squeezed her waist lightly.

"Hmm..." She hesitated, before deciding., "You...shook my hand."

Breath catching in my throat, I pushed her away from me. "You're not my Ember."

"What a shame." Killian's voice echoed around my head, accompanied by him clapping his hands together slowly in some sort of bizarre congratulatory way. "Though I was hoping to see a little more of the show."

As if commanded by unspoken instructions, Ember leaned forwards and pinned my wrists against the wooden headboard.

The previously-blurred surroundings cleared to reveal the fact we were in Ryder's dad's ranch in Montana; in the room Ember and I shared throughout that frigid indifference in our love. Killian stood near the window, his dark outline stark against the brightening light of dawn.

And there I was, completely vulnerable wearing nothing but boxers.

Adrenaline starting to saturate my veins, I tried to pull my arms down to defend myself, though it seemed they were stuck. Barred; just like when he killed her at Lake Oldoy and I couldn't do anything except watch.

"What the fuck, Killian?" I growled, willing myself to shift – a futile attempt.

'Ember' (not Ember) tied some necklace around my neck, silver burning into my flesh as soon as it made contact with my skin. The instant pain forced me to cough, which turned into dry heaves as I spluttered out bloody droplets of dark violet powder.