Chapter 7 - Theo

I didn't get any answers.

After I worked up the courage to ask him what the hell was going on with him, Kaden dodged the truth at every turn.

It was kind of impressive how long we spent talking about nothing of much importance. Ryder and I must've stayed with him for a couple of hours – talking about what happened in Montana, everything happened with my pack, how Ember is, how I felt when I found my dad and sister...

Everything and nothing.

"It's the full moon tonight." Ryder announced for the second time that day – and it was the first time we properly piqued Kaden's interest.

"Yeah, it is." He sighed, raising his hand to his mouth and starting to chew at the side of a nail; a habit he clearly hadn't kicked since I last saw him.

I noticed all of the skin around his nails was red and raw, cracked and close to bleeding.

At the same time that I noticed this, I realised that Kaden would have been spending full moons alone since I left Lake Oldoy. Full moons were especially hard without any other werewolves passing the night with you.

"You can spend it with us." I told him, forcing a smile on my face, "You've probably been alone for loads of full moons, right?"

"Something like that." He spoke through gritted teeth, dark eyebrows lowering into a frown.

"Well, you can be with us for this one." I repeated, figuring he hadn't quite heard me.

"I'll pass." Was his reply, much to my surprise.

Conversation suddenly seemed to drag, and for one reason and one reason alone: Kaden stopped talking so much.

"Do you wanna come into Hopecliffe with us?" Ryder suggested, "See Ember again, and meet Thea?"

"I can't. Got places to be." Kaden answered bluntly.

"I'll tell Halia we saw you. She's been missing you like crazy, man." I told him.

"You'll do nothing of the sort." His voice seemed to drop a couple of octaves, and his eyes narrowed at us.

"But, she–" Ryder frowned, but stopped speaking when I placed a firm hand on his shoulder.

"We should get going anyway." I stood and dragged Ryder up with me. "We'll be around the moors tonight if you change your mind."

I'd already noticed the vast moors stretching out around Hopecliffe – they'd do for that full moon, even though Ryder, Thea and I were must more accustomed to forests. Well, Thea was most accustomed to a cage, but we didn't really talk about that.

"But Halia..." Ryder stumbled, confused.

"Don't tell her you saw me. Don't tell any of them." Kaden spat out bitterly.

After Kaden's swift change in attitude, it was like all the energy of conversation had died.

"We...urm, should get going." Ryder repeated my words and hesitated, finally sensing the shift. "Right, Theo?"

"Yeah..." I turned to Kaden again, "The offer to join us tonight still stands."

"Mhm." Barely even a response.

As we walked off, I realised two things about Kaden – both of which were different, opposites when I knew him in Lake Oldoy.

He never smiled once the entire time we were speaking to him.

And the second thing?

He no longer smelt like Death.

~