Chapter 15 - Ember

Back home, I told the wall, "I still don't get it," as Theo sunk into a hot bath behind me.

"You can turn around now." He sighed and I heard the hot water lapping gently against his skin. He laughed lightly, "Though, I can't remember telling you not to look in the first place."

"Ha-ha." I fake-laughed back at him, rolling my eyes as I went to lean against the sink - facing him again.

"Basically, it just means that Kaden and I are linked stronger than I'd thought." He explained, "Having the same Alpha ties us together - especially since Kaden said he found that Alpha dead not too long after. It explains why I'd somehow encountered Kaden's scent before, when I first met him in Lake Oldoy...the Alpha tied us together..."

Trailing off into silence, shaking his head, Theo closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the edge of the bathtub. I'd suggested he have a bath; he'd been tense ever since we left the lake. Whatever he went through to find out that scrap of information about Kaden exhausted him more than I'd imagined possible.

Seizing the opportunity, I admired Theo's body in the hot, soapy water. I'd made sure to pour in extra bubble bath when I was drawing the bath for him - and thank God I did; most of it had clung to his arms and his broad chest, though there was still just enough to cover his crotch.

"You can join me if you want." He hummed, lazily opening his eyes and smiling softly at me.

"I would...but I just don't know when my mum's gonna get home." I bit my lip; we'd come straight home from the lake only to find a note from my mum saying she was going out for a bit and would be back before dark.

It was fast approaching dark.

"Did you get anything else from...whatever-it-was-that-you-did?" I rushed out in a blur, my cheeks pinkening slightly as steam rose from the bath.

Theo's brows knitted together in concentration...maybe I'm pushing him too far too fast.

"I got some of Killian's intentions." He rubbed his palms over his eyes.

I stood up straight then crouched down to my knees at the side of the bath, holding Theo's hand reassuringly. "We don't have to do this now, not if it's too much for you."

"I can remember a bit..." He pressed his lips firmly together, his jaw tensing.

Drawing on all my patience, I waited for him to speak, watching his handsome face intently. Shadows from the light caught around his eyes and cheekbones, illuminating the tendrils of darkness that existed in him, always amplified in situations such as these.

He's just as handsome as he is haunted.

"It's complicated-"

"Isn't it always?" I quipped with a slow smile spreading over my lips.

The corner of Theo's lips quirked up at me in a half-smile, half-smirk, and he squeezed my hand a little tighter. "Killian wrecking Kaden's caravan shows how he wants to...destroy everything that links him to Kaden and then reform it in his own image. It feels like more than just being possessed by a dark spirit..."

"Well, what more is there?" I was almost afraid to ask, but whilst Theo was in the right frame of mind I needed to get as many answers as possible.

"Like..." He closed his eyes, swallowed hard, "I don't know how probable it is, but it's definitely possible that it's satanic possession."

Ice froze my veins. Satan - Lucifer - the Slanderer - the Deceiver - the Tempter - the Father of Lies - the Enemy - the Evil One - the Antichrist -the Devil. Possessing my friend.