Mom says you have to!

Max's POV

I storm into the house and head to my room. Mom tries to talk to me while dad's unpacking. "Hey, Max! Hey, how was school?" She asks me. "It sucked." I respond coldly. "Hey hey hey. Watch your language, Dad warns me.

I ignore him and walk up the stairs. "I can't believe you made me move here!" I shout at them and go into my room. I shove off my backpack, hat, and jacket before sighing in relief about finally being alone.

I check on my fish and feed them. "Hey, guys." I greet them. I lay down on my bed and get comfy.  I look to my left and grab a pillow to hug tightly. My mind wanders to a certain girl and a smile spreads through my cheeks.

"Oh, y/n." I mumble. "You're so soft. I just wanna-" My fantasy gets interrupted as my closest doors open up and a certain annoying thing pops up. "Boo!" She laughs. "Dani!" I call out in annoyance.

Dani laughs and jumps onto my bed and begins to mock me. "I scared you. I scared you." She keeps on laughing. She then starts asking me questions. "Who were you talking about, huh?"

I ignore it and start yelling at her. "Mom and Dad told you to stay outta my room!" Dani scoffs "Don't be such a crab. Guess what? You're gonna be taking me to Trick or Treating."

I sigh as the day relapses my mind. "Not this year, Dani." I tell her sternly. Dani jumps down from the bed. "Mom says you have too!"

"Well, she can take you." I offer. I go to walk off, but Dani grips my sleeve. "She and Dad are going to the party at town hall." She shoots back.

I  yank out of her grip. "You're eight. Go by yourself." I tell her stubbornly and walk off to my drums and play. Dani runs to my side and begins to complain. "No way! This is my first time. I'll get lost." I continue playing. "Besides, it's a full moon outside. The weirdos are out." She gestures outside.

Dani walks up to me and hugs my neck. "Come on, Max." I stop playing and look away from her. "Couldn't you forget about being a cool teenager for just one night?" She asks pleadingly.

"We used to have so much fun together trick or treating." She keeps begging me. "Remember? It'll be like old times." I shrug her arms off me. "Yeah, well the old days are dead." I tell her and drum again.

"It doesn't matter what you say, you're taking me." Dani orders. I stop and look her in the eyes. "Wanna bet?" I challenge. I walk up to the second floor in my room and plant myself on the floor. I wince in pain as my sister calls for Mom in a shrill screeching voice.

I follow Dani house to house with a hat and sunglasses on, hoping that no one will recognize me at all. Children are screaming left and right while also laughing in joy.

We start to head to the next house, when I see those two guys from earlier taking kids candy and fooling with their friends. I stop Dani. "Let's just go this way." I tell her in hopes of getting out of here unnoticed. Dani ignores me, and goes up to the group, insulting them..

I step in so things don't get too wild. I shove my candy to them and we head over to the next house. "You should've stepped up!" Dani begins. "You just humiliated me in front of half of the guys at me school! So collect you candy and get out of my life!" I demand.

Dani runs off, and I guiltily follow her, ashamed with what I said. I find her crying on a pile of hay and approach her. "Dani I'm sorry. It's just that I hate this place. I miss all my friends. I wanna go home!" I admit.

"Well, this is your home now. So get used to it." Dani sniffles. "Gimmie one more chance?" I plead. "Why should I?" She asks me.

"Cause I'm your brother." I tell her. She finally looks back at me and laughs. We laugh for a bit before heading for the house we stopped in front of.