Chapter 13

~Cristian~

You'd think pop music would get murder off of my mind. It didn't.

Another thirty minutes into the ride and I stopped outside an abandoned apartment complex off the highway.

Elena looked outside slowly, her eyebrows furrowing as I got out of the car. I opened the trunk and grabbed my AR-15 rifle in its black bag, throwing it over my shoulder and walking over to her side.

When I pulled her door open, she was curled into herself like she'd never been more afraid. Her arm over the other, her legs pulled together and her head lowered.

"Where are we going?" Her voice could barely be heard over the car speeding past us. She eyed the bag, never daring to look at me.

I extended a hand and told her to hurry, and after some reluctance she took it and listened. The clouds were starting to gather above us, in speckles of grey against a white sky as we walked beneath it towards the building.

Elena probably assumed the worst of this and lugged behind me once we got inside the building, going over four flights of stairs without any railings and through gravel.

This place was eerily dark. The floors were stripped bare, looking like they'd crumble any second. Barely any daylight got inside, and it smelt like roadkill and blood.

Elena kept turning to look at her surroundings, darting her eyes over every piece of stone and broken furniture. The princess had probably never stepped foot in a place like this.

We stopped at an empty apartment which had a missing door, and she followed me to what was left of the windows. When unzipping my bag and pulling out my rifle she gasped.

"What are you doing?" She breathed, staring at the gun. "Have you lost your mind!?"

I held the rifle while looking out of the windowless hole, calculating my position while she started to pant loudly.

"So that's it? You're going to kill me? I know we've had our differences Cristian but-"

"Shut up and come here." I lowly ordered. She glanced down at my gun and then towards my eyes, before stepping towards me.

Her eyes almost squeezed closed before I pulled her in front of me and held her in place by her arm.

My pulse discovered itself. I had to take a deep breath just to handle the fact that she was leaning against the front of my body. Close enough to feel her. Close enough for me to smell the coconut shampoo from her hair.

I fixed the position of the gun in my other hand, my arms wrapped around her in order to hold my gun properly. The rifle was long and had to be adjusted by resting it on the windowsill, and once I moved my face close to her ear she tensed.

"Cristian?"

"Shhh princess. I need you to trust me." I whispered, my concentration on the man standing outside this building. He wore a business suit and was lost in a conversation he was having on his phone, probably here to visit his land.

"Don't do this Cristian. P-Please." Elena pleaded, but the Ricci in her didn't move an inch when I fired at the man.

Red exploded before her eyes, splattering over the dull grass. Splattering the daisies.

Elena stared at the dead body with wide eyes, her demeanour one of stone.

"You brought me here to watch you murder someone!?" She asked, her voice cracking and her eyes growing glossy.

I stepped back, lowering the rifle. "I brought you here to remind you that the same darkness you seem to despise made you, Elena."

"You're insane!"