Chapter 39

~Elena POV~

Papa didn't stop dragging me through the house until we reached the back room, which wasn't even the back room anymore. He threw my arm away and my mouth dropped open as I scanned the room.

Papa really had everything prepared. A stage sat at the end, circular tables were scattered all over, and there was purple everywhere - flowers, ribbons, table cloths...

"That's the second time you embarrassed me in front of the family." Papa threw his finger my way. "You've gone out of control! Which is why this ceremony needs to happen now."

The door clicked and my brothers entered one by one, slowing when they realised I was here. Betrayal clawed its way to my heart seeing them. They were prepared too, all five of them wearing tuxedos to watch me get sold off. Or so they thought.

"He's on his way." Vito told Papa and slid his phone into his pocket.

"You're all hypocrites." The words rushed out before I could stop them. "Instead of scaring off my high school classmates, you should have protected me from him." I turned to face an irritated Papa. "You can't marry me to Brandon."

Ridicule entered his eyes and he moved a hand to his ear."What was that?"

"You can't marry me to Brandon." I bit out harder, and Papa let out a snicker that tightened my face.

"Why not?"

"Because..." I gulped, but maintained the courage in my expression. "I'm already married."

Papa's face froze like stone, and the amusement in his eyes spilled out. Footsteps came from behind and Mama came into view, holding a pile of plates.

"To who?" She asked coldly. My throat tightened and I lowered my eyes. Everyone practically tore me apart with their stares - especially Papa who didn't remove his black, bulging eyes from me for even a second. All of a sudden I wanted to take back what I said. Whatever was coming after this silence was deadly.

"Spit it out." Mama snapped and my body trembled under the pressure. "WHO are you married to?!"

"To me."

A deep voice came from behind, and everyones gazes coasted above my head. I was still mad at him, but a rush of relief flowed through me at his presence.

Mama's mouth flew open and a crash cut through the air. As a piece of broken plate scraped across the floor to my heels, the silence became a dangerous entity, pushing against my ears.

Romeo's fists balled. Papa had never looked at me with so much hatred. Cristian grabbed my hand. "Anyone got a problem with that?"

Nobody spoke up, but it looked like Papa was close to. He was bright red and heaving, his mouth shut tight.

"Good." Cristian rasped and tugged at me hand. "We're leaving."

I guess it would be best to let the truth marinate. I slowly turned, but by the time I saw the gun in Papa's hand it was too late. Cristian grabbed my waist just as Romeo threw himself in front of me. 

A gunshot exploded in my ears and I was behind the pillar in a second, fighting Cristian to get to Romeo. Terror unwound in my chest as Mama screamed, and a thud sounded against the floor.