Chapter 22

~Elena~

I don't remember much.

The last place I was at, was in Beverly's arms as she tried to kidnap me and take me to the bathroom. Her favourite song played. I sipped a shooter given to me.

Now I was covered in blankets, something cold and unsettling was being pumped through a vein, and it was only when I felt something soft against my cheek, did I awaken.

The first thing I saw was the fire crackling on my right, before I noticed a pair of baby blue eyes staring down at me blankly.

Cristian on his haunches beside me stills, the back of his hand lingering against my cheek before he furrows his brows and holds my face, moving it as he examines my eyes.

After some seconds of scanning my face he releases it. "Who told you drink from a stranger?"

I blinked at the high pitched ringing in my ears, and finally replied with a quiet. "Shut up," but it only made his jaw clench.

"Answer me." He growled. "Did you feel good knowing you could forget about your life so quickly?"

"It was water! And why are you still here!?"

"Elena-"

"Why do you care?!"

Anger flashed through his eyes. "Because if you die, Elena, I will be right behind you. You say you hate me, we'll see how much when I make your final destination hell."

I swallowed at the intensity of his words, which don't seem too lighthearted as he stepped away and turned his back. The way he rubbed his nape had me sit up a little and watch him walk towards the fire. Huh, thats weird. I'd never seen this much tension in him before.

This is the man who never flinched at a gunshot. A man who always carried so much composure I sometimes want to strangle myself. What could he be stressed about now? Pop music?

After Cristian walked out, leaving his warning to settle into the warmth, my pulse slowed. I could still hear the unhinged threat as I stared into the fire, watching the flames flicker before me.

What the hell did he mean? And why was he so mad? I held my head, thoughts still fuzzy as I laid it back.

Everything, from Adrians warm, brown living room to my sequinned dress was started to irritate me. God I hated brown, and sequins. "Adrian!!" I called out, my voice weak and wobbly. I thought he wouldn't hear but after a few seconds the door swung open and he slid half his body in.

We didn't say anything to each other. I could already read his guilt, and him mine. After a few raw, quiet moments he walked in and picked my heels from the floor. Holding my shoes, he slowed like he didn't know what to day.

"This is my fault." He finally let out, lowering his head before approaching me.

"Don't say that. Please, you were kind enough to let me do this for Beverly."

He set my shoes down in front of the couch and straightened, a troubled look concerning him as he flexed his hand. "If your brothers find out about this-"