Chapter 36

~Cristian POV~

The air inside the apartment complex was a nauseating stench. Dampness and mildew on the torn wallpaper, used needles scattered on the floors. It was like I was walking through my childhood home.

Tucking my phone into my pocket, I stopped outside an already open door and stepped inside the apartment. 

Since Elena went shopping, I was in the right headspace to figure out what I was gonna do about my father. Mine and Elena's marriage only made the situation tenser, because it wasn't just about me anymore. When the bastard would knew about her, his hunt would turn into a chase.

Walking into a shabby living room, I headed through to a kitchen. A dirty blonde head turned my way, along with a smile that revealed tar stained teeth.

"Russo!"

"Reed." I briefly acknowledged, taking a seat at the table covered in stacks of notes. Reed set his cash down.

"Thought I'd never see you again." He snapped his fingers at a kid standing by the counter. "Get us some drinks. Ice cold, fast."

He sat back in his chair. "So what brings you here to our wreckage?"

"That favour."

"Ah. Can't forget it."

The kid set the drinks down and Reed gestured for me to drink, but I kept my focus on the matter. "I want my location changed. "

I wasn't going to mention it was for my wife, or word would spread around even more.

"Drink." He said like I'd never even spoken. Irritation seeped into my voice.

"As I was saying. Location." I said a little tighter.

"Its a good refreshment."

I shoved the glass his way until it dropped on his lap and rolled onto the floor. The scraping clatter of glass cut through the air and heightened the alarm in his eyes. Reed was stiff now.

"Release a false location of me being out of this country, say Mexico." I stood. "No fuck ups."

Through his trembling lips, he tried plastering a fake smile. "Lead them to Mexico. Done."

I turned to make a leave but as I walked out, my phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it to my ear.

"Why am I your whipping boy again?" Mario asked.

"Because I pay your rent. How is she?"

"Boring, she's testing makeup. It was better when she was at the lingerie store."

My response muted. I tugged at my collar, my skin growing hot on my way out the exit.

"Don't take your eye off her." I told him, and shut my phone. Maybe I made a mistake sending Mario to watch her from a distance, he was an idiot who'd make himself known in seconds.

Though I hired a bodyguard I'd known for a decade for her, I was on edge about her being out but as long as the public didn't know about our marriage, she was protected under the Ricci name. Nobody would touch her. If they knew about our marriage it'd be a different story. I had more enemies than Giuseppe could ever gather.