Chapter 15

Darkness. A cold, evil abyss I taught myself to stay away from. To hate it, to fight it and never provoke it.

Being born into its shadow, it was always much harder for me to resist it. Especially when I'd seen what my family was capable of at just four years old through the car window. We'd just went to the park.

I still remember the smell of my cherry lollipop, my pink child seat and the blood. Red and dark and sickening.

I cried at the sound of the gunshot. Dropped my crayon, and when my brother told me to keep my eyes on my colouring book I listened.

I remember the brains spilled over the sidewalk, the monster in my fathers eyes and how I stopped sitting on his lap since that very day, even thought I didn't understand what had happened.

I wished I hadn't seen what I did. I wished the only violence I saw was in cartoons, but the harsh reality was that I didn't.

And now, the one thing I'd spent so long pushing away started to lure me in...in the form of a hitman.

A voice echoed in my dreams. Harsh and cold and demanding. When my eyes flickered open a tall and dark eyes man towered over me.

Cristian stared at me like he didn't know what creature I was.

"Get up Ricci." He snapped, his morning voice echoing the room. I lifted my head and looked at the clock.

"It's 6am."

I ran my eyes over him and saw that he was dressed in his everyday suit, a black Armani one. So that meant he was dealing with business today and not bodies.

He looked at his clean shiny rolex. "I have work to do. We leave in 10 minutes."

I rubbed my eyes and flopped my head onto my pillow again. I was always an insomniac, I barely slept two hours last night but then again I could just sleep in the car.

———

The car ride stretched on forever. I fell asleep quickly but it was a punishing sleep. The kind that wakes you up every 10 minutes and jags into your flesh with every bump the car takes.

I lifted my head up and squinted at the road. "How long left?"

"Three hours." He replied making me sigh and lean against the side of the car and eye him. I probably looked like junk right now compared to him.

"Where'd you get the suit from?"

"Spare one in the car."

I almost laughed. "You keep a spare suit in your car?"

"Ended up being useful didn't it?"

Of course, when needing to change out of bloody clothes.

I let out a yawn, stretched a little and lowered the mirror in front of me. God I looked like a disgrace. I wish I had brought some eyeliner or blush with me. "I need to go to the bathroom."

"Go then. I'll stop right here."

My eyes narrowed into slits as I watched the trees surrounding the slim road. "Theres no rest station here-" My words trailed off when he gave me a side glance. "Do you think you're funny? I'd like to go to an actual bathroom please."