Chapter 28

~Cristian POV~

I'd never been so desperate to to return to New York. I had to reach Giuseppe and figure out how hard I was gonna smash his face.

Nobody played with me and lived.

As I made my way through fountains and marble pillars, the leftover guests from Adrian Grey's generic wedding crept on my nerves the way they were scattered in every part of the hotel. Following me with their distasteful eyes like I'd murder their children.

Women liked me - everyone else either hated me for the freedom they never had, or took out their distaste for their own lifestyle on me, as if they were better.

People belonging to the Mafia hid their blood stained hands. I walked with them on display. They were dirty snobs that only reminded me why I hated New York.

After rounding the corner of a hallway, the sound of a soft voice made me stop behind the corner. I saw Elena leave the lobby with her brothers. It was questioning how quick she could slip away without them.

"No. I'm not asking my father anything." She turned away from a man...a teenager looking guy who stepped close to her.

Fire sank into my skin, lighting a pit in my chest.

"Convince your father, cmon." My steel glare followed his knuckles as he ran them down her arm but she threw his hand away and turned to him, repulsed hopefully.

"Its charity enough that I'm here alone with you. I won't ask him to give you a job with him."

"Come on sugar pea. Sweetie?" He tried touching her chin and when she pushed his hand he did it again.

My jaw snapped shut. Anger seared the inside of my chest, but I clung onto my cool exterior and stepped into their view, leaning against the wall. The only thing stopping me from going there and wringing his chicken neck was my need to know who he was to her.

He was a loser. His watch was upside down, his was coat covered in lint from the back, and from the way he spoke to her it was clear he'd never been with a woman before.

His hand traveled up her face again, but this time she didn't move it away.

"You know I can count on you."

"Brandon...." she sighed, his name rolling so smoothing on her tongue it was as if she'd known him for decades. The possibility made my blood run fucking dry.

I'd seen enough.

"Forget what I told you about strange men Elena?"

When she looked at me, she froze. The wimps hand moved from her face but I doubt he did it by choice, my stare was a grip focused on him and him alone.

"You know him?" He asked.

"My cousin." She replied a little too fast.

He darted his eyes between us and Elena gave me a bitter smile through clenched teeth, signalling for me to leave. When I didn't budge, she awkwardly laughed.

"We need to talk about...his outfit for my big day. There's a colour theme- can you go get me a glass of water?" She asked him.