Chapter 23

[CONTENT WARNING: This chapter contains mentions of the foster care system]

After Catra's strange departure from the protest, Glimmer redirected the Best Friends Squad's attention to the police precinct.

"Let's get to the doors and see what we can find out," she said as she motioned for Adora and Bow to follow her lead. They walked single file, clinging to the shirt hems of the person in front of them so they wouldn't get separated as the three of them wove through the crowd. Adora scanned every face they passed, wondering if any other gangsters had showed up for the event. She wouldn't have been surprised if she spotted Rogelio towering above everyone else with Lonnie and Kyle at his sides.

But, no — it seemed as though Catra and... and this Scorpia person were the only two who dared show their faces at such a public event.

Typical Catra, Adora thought bitterly.

Glimmer waved at one of the officers who stood by the door, watching the protest with an impassive look on his face.

"Hey, it's me," she said. "Can we get in?"

The officer glanced at her. "Are you experiencing an emergency or here to make a report?"

"I'm here to see my mom," Glimmer sounded confused.

"Sorry, Glimmer," the officer said. "We're under strict instructions not to let anyone inside unless it's for official police business."

While Glimmer fumed, Adora looked back at the protesters who stood closest to the front. They stared back, watching the interaction curiously. Adora wondered what they were thinking — what this conversation looked like to them. For the first time since they'd arrived, Adora felt self-conscious.

What would be worse? she asked herself privately. If these people knew I used to be part of the Horde, or if they knew I'm sort of working with the police now?

Both options made her feel like the bad guy, and for the first time, she started to wonder if that was true.

"Listen," the cop said, pulling Adora from her thoughts. He leaned in a little closer so he could lower his voice. "If it makes you feel any better, your mom's not even here right now."

Glimmer was taken aback. "What do you mean? Where is she?"

But before the officer could answer, Bow cleared his throat. "Guys, I think we should get out of here."

"Why?" Adora asked. She looked at him, then followed his gaze back to the crowd. Now the protesters at the front stood with their phones raised. They were recording this conversation, waiting for something to happen. She turned her back to them and pulled her hood up over her head.

"I'm with Bow," she said. "Let's go."

Though it seemed to pain her to do so, Glimmer followed them back down the steps. They skirted around the walls of the building until they found a part of the crowd that was thin enough for them to pass through easily before ducking down a side street and away from the noise.

"Why wouldn't she be there?" Glimmer muttered. She pulled her phone out and tapped out a text message to her mother. "I mean, there's a HUGE protest right outside of the precinct. Shouldn't the police chief be there?"

Interwoven with Glimmer's frustration were unmistakable notes of worry. Adora reached out and looped arms with her. She smiled at her reassuringly.

"Wherever she is, I'm sure Angella has a really good reason for not being there right now," she assured Glimmer.

"Adora's right," Bow said, flanking Glimmer on her other side. "And at least now you don't have to worry about her being caught up in all of this, right?"